Move of AIX on 2GB disk to 4GB disk ?

Post by bel.. » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

can anybody help for an easy and fast way to move an AIX 4.x (incl.
other programs) system residing on a 2 GB disk to a 4 GB or higher, in
case of running out of disk space.

Background:
I have to have always the systemdisk as hdisk0. I'm not allowed to
extend the rootvg over several hdisks.

What I normally do?
A. Either coldstart the system (complete overwrite, which might take
a while for E30, 41T and older models, OR
B. I do a mksysb with a DAT or DLT in order to restore it from
there to the new hdisk0 (4GB).
Disadvantage: In complex sites I've to interfere anyhow on
configuration, what I want to avoid.

Regards belli

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Ted Linne » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>can anybody help for an easy and fast way to move an AIX 4.x (incl.
>other programs) system residing on a 2 GB disk to a 4 GB or higher, in
>case of running out of disk space.

>Background:
>I have to have always the systemdisk as hdisk0. I'm not allowed to
>extend the rootvg over several hdisks.

>What I normally do?
>A. Either coldstart the system (complete overwrite, which might take
>a while for E30, 41T and older models, OR
>B. I do a mksysb with a DAT or DLT in order to restore it from
>there to the new hdisk0 (4GB).
>Disadvantage: In complex sites I've to interfere anyhow on
>configuration, what I want to avoid.

>Regards belli

Sounds like you need to look at migratepv.

Ted

| BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP                                 |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |

1. Why is my 4gb disk only formatting with 2gb under Solaris2.3 install?

I've just but a brand new 4Gb Quantum Fireball into my Sparc LX
to replace the old, knackered and small disk, and tried installing a new
copy
of Solaris 2.3 (the only version I've got available).

So imagine me typing "boot cdrom" and then waiting.....

I asked for a quick install and it died cause the disk wasnt formatted.

I ran the "format" command. It found the disk. Seemed to correctly
identify it.
Unfortunately the "partition" table only divided up 2Gb of disk space.

Whats happened to the other 2Gb? And how can I get it back?

Either I'm stupid or it isnt in the FAQ either way I need help please.

Thanks

--
Kit Smithers

2. Help--newly written binaries wont run

3. Try to restore to a 4GB disk from original 2X400MB disks, problems

4. how to use NT domain to authenticate AIX

5. Jaz2GB Dr + 1GB Disk vs. 2GB Disk

6. How to realize DLC protocol in firmware? Where is a DLC reference?

7. 43P: AIX 4.2.1: Unknown Disk (Orb 2.2GB): Device support??

8. redirect STDOUT in telnet script

9. Moving a Solstice Disk Suite-striped disk from one news server to another

10. move the local disk drives and disk array from SunE3500 to Sun E 5500

11. moving root disk to a new disk

12. fuji disk M2266 on AIX 3.1/RS-6000 (or other 3rd party disks)

13. Is it possible to mirror disks without physically removing disk the incompletely mirrored disk