Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

Post by Troy Griffi » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I created a large file system enabled file system of 21 GB, and have fsize
and fsize_hard set to -1 (for root) in /etc/security/limits, but still
cannot write more than 2GB to a single file.  What am I missing????

Thanks.

Troy Griffin
Manager of Network Services
Sonnenschein Nath and Rosenthal

Post by Matthew Land » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I created a large file system enabled file system of 21 GB, and have fsize
> and fsize_hard set to -1 (for root) in /etc/security/limits, but still
> cannot write more than 2GB to a single file.  What am I missing????

> Thanks.

> Troy Griffin
> Manager of Network Services
> Sonnenschein Nath and Rosenthal

Try to relogin.  It takes a new login of the ID with limit changes for
the changes to take effect.

 - Matt

      Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's.

Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

Post by Troy Griffi » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the advice, Matt.

I tried what you suggested, and checked with "ulimit -a" with the following
output:

time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         262144
stack(kbytes)        32768
memory(kbytes)       32768
coredump(blocks)     2048
nofiles(descriptors) unlimited

However, I still couldn't write to a file beyond the 2 GB size.

> > I created a large file system enabled file system of 21 GB, and have
fsize
> > and fsize_hard set to -1 (for root) in /etc/security/limits, but still
> > cannot write more than 2GB to a single file.  What am I missing????

> > Thanks.

> > Troy Griffin
> > Manager of Network Services
> > Sonnenschein Nath and Rosenthal

> Try to relogin.  It takes a new login of the ID with limit changes for
> the changes to take effect.

>  - Matt

> --

>       Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's.

Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

Post by Matthew Land » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Thanks for the advice, Matt.

> I tried what you suggested, and checked with "ulimit -a" with the following
> output:

> time(seconds)        unlimited
> file(blocks)         unlimited
> data(kbytes)         262144
> stack(kbytes)        32768
> memory(kbytes)       32768
> coredump(blocks)     2048
> nofiles(descriptors) unlimited

Ok, and you are positive it was created large file enabled?  I
would double check.  Issue the command `lsfs -q <yourfs>`
and look for the attribute "bf".  If it is set to "true" that
FS IS large file enabled, if it is "false" it is NOT large
file enabled.

 - matt

      Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's.

Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

Post by àì?ó? » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I wonder if you set  to 131072 for Number of bytes per inode
when you created a large file system enabled file system.

It makes it possible to make a large file system enabled file system up to
64GB.

> I created a large file system enabled file system of 21 GB, and have fsize
> and fsize_hard set to -1 (for root) in /etc/security/limits, but still
> cannot write more than 2GB to a single file.  What am I missing????

> Thanks.

> Troy Griffin
> Manager of Network Services
> Sonnenschein Nath and Rosenthal

Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

Post by Montse Pererna » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hellow Troy :
First, sorry for my english.
I had the same problem that you with AIX 4.3.2.0 and the only system that I
found to could create files > 2Gb was creating a new file system with smith
with the option menu " Add a Large File Enabled Journaled File System ".

Bye.
        Montse.