ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Post by Brian Woo » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00



I just acquired a TP Power Series 820 running AIX 2.4. I'm trying to get
a RIOS Ethernet PCMCIA card to work in it (I'd settle for having my
3-Com 3c589 work though).

The system sees the card in that xpcmcia shows it inserted and an ID
number but no driver appears to load.

Could somebody explain to a complete AIX newbie (but old SunOS/Solaris
user) what I have to do to get an ethernet card working? The machine is
of little use to me with no networking.

Also, I'm a little confused on AIX versions. Should I upgrade this 2.4
and what would that cost me?

Thanks for any pointers.

--

"Very Funny Scotty, Now BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES"

 
 
 

ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Post by Steffen Grueble » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Are you sure that this is a 2.4 system ?
uname -v displays the version
uname -r displays the release of this version
uname -a gives both information in opposite order
I suppose it is a 4.2 system, right ?

Regarding your NIC problem I think your only option is to get an
original IBM Ethernet Adapter II second hand. This card was dropped by
IBM two years ago but it is the only PCMCIA NIC working with AIX. The
IBM EtherJet is the replacement for the Ethernet Adapter II, but there's
no driver support for AIX. Also other cards do NOT work.

Good luck !

Steffen
(remove nospam in my mail address to reply)


> I just acquired a TP Power Series 820 running AIX 2.4. I'm trying to get
> a RIOS Ethernet PCMCIA card to work in it (I'd settle for having my
> 3-Com 3c589 work though).

> The system sees the card in that xpcmcia shows it inserted and an ID
> number but no driver appears to load.

> Could somebody explain to a complete AIX newbie (but old SunOS/Solaris
> user) what I have to do to get an ethernet card working? The machine is
> of little use to me with no networking.

> Also, I'm a little confused on AIX versions. Should I upgrade this 2.4
> and what would that cost me?

> Thanks for any pointers.

> --

> "Very Funny Scotty, Now BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES"


 
 
 

ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Post by Brian Downin » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00



> Could somebody explain to a complete AIX newbie (but old SunOS/Solaris
> user) what I have to do to get an ethernet card working? The machine is
> of little use to me with no networking.

 I think you may need a PCMCIA card that says IBM on it.

--
  [  Brian Downing  ] [ '97 ZX7R 750 ] [  If there is a hell       ]

  [                 ] [ '89 VTR  250 ] [  not us. -FZ              ]

 
 
 

ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Post by Brian Woo » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00



> Are you sure that this is a 2.4 system ?
> uname -v displays the version
> uname -r displays the release of this version
> uname -a gives both information in opposite order
> I suppose it is a 4.2 system, right ?

Yes. I assumed that the 2 4 output of uname -a was the version. I now
know better.

Quote:

> Regarding your NIC problem I think your only option is to get an
> original IBM Ethernet Adapter II second hand. This card was dropped by
> IBM two years ago but it is the only PCMCIA NIC working with AIX. The
> IBM EtherJet is the replacement for the Ethernet Adapter II, but there's
> no driver support for AIX. Also other cards do NOT work.

I have been told that the RIOS card I have is the same one that was
OEMed to IBM as their adapter. If this is the case how would I set it
up? If this is not the case where might I look for the IBM card.

--

"Very Funny Scotty, Now BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES"

 
 
 

ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Post by Alan Hamilt » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00



>I have been told that the RIOS card I have is the same one that was
>OEMed to IBM as their adapter. If this is the case how would I set it
>up? If this is not the case where might I look for the IBM card.

I'm presuming lsdev -C doesn't show an en0 device for it.  Try going
into 'smitty devices' and select 'Install/Configure Devices Added
after IPL'.  Load your AIX 4.2 CD and select /dev/cd0 as the input
device for software.  If you don't have a CD or other source of the
AIX filesets, you're probably out of luck.

If it doesn't autodetect it, you can try the "Install Additional
Device Software" option, and try to find the equivalent IBM adapter in
the list.

 
 
 

1. Thinkpad Power Series 820

I have recenly been givin a Thinkpad Power Series 820 PPC notebook.

Will Linux work on this machine.  I have found that support is coming but
cant find out if it has.

Please let me know..thanks

2. SSL accept error

3. linuxppc2000 on IBM thinkpad power series 820

4. Virtual IP Adress on two SNA gateway

5. IBM ThinkPad Model: Power Series 820

6. Desperatly need info on what is NIS

7. Power Series 820

8. Some error messages at boot time

9. ibm power series 820

10. IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

11. HP 820 series printer

12. ThinkPad 820 - hangs booting from install diskette