A Ramdrive on AIX...

Post by Yanick Labell » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for something that can use a block of RAM and mount it as a
file system,
I've already done that on Linux on my PC, ... but at my job, we need to
access & update
C-ISAM files, and speed is our principal problem... If we put all that
on a ramdrive,  that
won't be a problem anymore..., and memory shortage is not a problem on
that system...

Any suggestions?

A Ramdrive on AIX...

Post by Wolf Duttlinger-Mange » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm a real newbie - but working with SAP R/3 for four weeks teaches you to
look after performance...
Have you looked at vmtune? AIX will buffer filepages in RAM. In memory
shortage situations it will page-out. Either Programm or File pages. Using
"vmtune -p50 -P80" (Attention: these values are mere guesses!!!) will
instruct your machine to page only Programm pages as soon as less than 50%
of RAM are being used as file cache. If more than 80% of RAM are being used
pages would be stolen from the file cache, in between AIX is somehow
"fairly" distributing between these two resources.

vmtune settings will be effective at once, but you should place them in
inittab as the settings won't last over a reboot.

Wolf

> I'm looking for something that can use a block of RAM and mount it as a
> file system,
> I've already done that on Linux on my PC, ... but at my job, we need to
> access & update
> C-ISAM files, and speed is our principal problem... If we put all that
> on a ramdrive,  that
> won't be a problem anymore..., and memory shortage is not a problem on
> that system...

> Any suggestions?

1. "ramdisk=4096" but I get a 16Mb ramdrive?

I have always used "ramdisk=4096" in lilo.conf, and would get a 4Mb ramdisk.
But now (1.3.52), I'm getting a 16Mb ramdisk (I've put well over 4Mb of
stuff on it). I tried changing the lilo.conf entry to "ramdisk=1024" and I
still get a 16Mb ramdisk (as reported by "df"). I don't get it. If it's
working correctly, I'd like someone to explain just how it works now.

Thanks.

 - Vince
___
   Vincent Fatica
   Syracuse University Mathematics

   http://barnyard.syr.edu/~vefatica/

2. establishing ppp link problem

3. compiling the kernel with ramdrive

4. Unix batch usage

5. Large Ramdrives?

6. raid 5 recovery

7. auto mounting compressed ramdrive images

8. Any SANE people here?

9. 'ramdrive' under Linux

10. RAMDRIVE.SYS equivalent for Linux?

11. Specifying last 32M of RAM as ramdrive?

12. RamDrive

13. /ram ramdrive possible?