defining System Printer as 1st printer

Post by Phil Schuman-OLex » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

is there a SMIT command to move a printer definition
in QCONFIG up to the 1st entry -
so it becomes the default System Printer ?

we have been doing it manually,
and can't find a command to do it -

also - is there anyway to re-order
the entries in Qconfig
so they sort/display together
vs how/when they were defined -
again, without doing it manually ?

Phil -

defining System Printer as 1st printer

Post by Phil Schuman-OLex » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

tnx - I must have missed it somehow -
just did it -
Phil -

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Why not just go into smit, manage print queues, set the default queue.
This will move the selected queue to the top of qconfig making it the
system-wide default.  You could also set PRINTER or LPDEST variables in
/etc/environment or /etc/profile to set everyone to the same default
printer and then users could override that individually.

Regards,
Paul

> is there a SMIT command to move a printer definition
> in QCONFIG up to the 1st entry -
> so it becomes the default System Printer ?

> we have been doing it manually,
> and can't find a command to do it -

> also - is there anyway to re-order
> the entries in Qconfig
> so they sort/display together
> vs how/when they were defined -
> again, without doing it manually ?

> Phil -

1. smit change printer and chdev of printer hang system

We are having printing problems and need to make some changes to the printer's
attributes.  This is under AIX 4.1.  we go through smit to the Change/Show
printers menu where we make the necessary changes in the fields press enter and
the entire system freezes.  We then tried to make the changes from the command
line using the chdev command and we get the same result where the entire system
freezes.  We then tried to do a rmdev on the printer and that also froze the
entire system.

This is probably ODM corruption of some kind.  How would one go about repairing
the corruption short of doing a complete fresh reinstall?

2. What's the GUI equivalent of pkgadd?

3. Printer doesn't stop printing 1st page!!!

4. how to detect portscand?

5. net printer keeps faulting and reprints doc before finishing 1st print

6. gprof linking problem

7. HELP: defining print filter on remote printer

8. Sun SPARC Processor Perfomance & Linux

9. Defining printer for ps files

10. how to define a "hylafax printer"

11. Is there a limit to the number of printers that can be defined in Solaris?

12. Define a remote printer

13. How to define printers?