SSA & SP nodes going away?

Post by Joe Morri » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:57:24

Has anybody heard or read anything to substantiate these two rumors?

  1. I've heard SSA development is being dropped in favor of the upcoming
     Ultra SCSI IV standard

  2. IBM has already stopped manufacturing nodes for SP frames.  PSSP will
     still be developed and used on other hardware (p-series, S, etc)
     and the frames themselves will still be sold has cabinets for
     switch frames.

A much shakier rumor was that 5L will be the last release of AIX.
Frankly, I'm glad to see the end of nodes and SSA but not too pleased
about a potential end to AIX.

--
  Joe Morris, SysAdmin and Not Insane
  Atlanta stories   http://jolomo.net/

SSA & SP nodes going away?

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:40:25

> Has anybody heard or read anything to substantiate these two rumors?

Nope.

Quote:> A much shakier rumor was that 5L will be the last release of AIX.

I've already answered that (last week, I think).

Quote:> Frankly, I'm glad to see the end of nodes

I foresee a jungle of cables running from rack to rack (again).

Quote:> and SSA

The beauty of SSA is that you have exactly ONE plug type and
NO terminator.

Now, think about how crewed up SCSI is:

For each SCSI version, there is at least half a dozen
incompatible plugs.  There are plugs that used for 3
different types of SCSI (all incompatible).
You have devices that have a single connector forcing
you to have a special cable with an extra plug for the next
cable/terminator.

SCSI-I : Centronics/DB25/SCSI/SCSI-Hi density ? 4 connectors
SCSI-II : (which scsi-2? DE/LVD/HVD ? Narrow/Wide ?)
        SCSI-Hi density, SCSI-Hi density wide ?
        Do you need to connect a narrow bus device on a wide bus ?
        Wide-to-narrow interposer/cable.
SCSI-III : Shares connectors with SCSI-II.
SCSI-IV : Will introduce it's own connectors ?
        Will they have the SENSE to introduce ONE connector for LVD
        and an incompatible one for HVD ?  At least you could look
        at the cables and *know* what is it that you're holding.

The only thing "standard" about SCSI the command set (SSA is SCSI too).

Quote:> but not too pleased about a potential end to AIX.

Won't end until linux goes beyond AIX.  And probably not even then.

--
Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
activity available at the time.

SSA & SP nodes going away?

Post by rieh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:30:59

Jose Pina Coelho

> > Has anybody heard or read anything to substantiate these two rumors?
> Nope.

um ..for SSA,  Yes. Apparently development has or will shortly stop -
this was reported at one of the 'technical universities' I heard. High
cost is cited, but I guess also the fact no one else supports SSA, and
the move to SAN packaged boxes with fiber, where you don't see the
benefits of SSA so much, are also a factor. ( I know Shark uses it,
but it could just as easily use Ultra SCSI, couldn't it?)
Quote:> The beauty of SSA is that you have exactly ONE plug type and