AIX 4.1.4 TCP/IP & NIS Client Setup

Post by Barry C. Wiggin » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm in need of knowing how to define my TCP/IP network interface,
network driver, and setting up the NIS client deamons on my AIX
4.1.4 box.

I think my confusion is with the TCP/IP configurations.  In SMIT,
I'm faced with en0, en1, et0, et1, tr0 as my network interfaces.
The adapter has what looks like twisted pair, BNC, and
some sort of 16-pin port.

How do I configure TCP/IP for my simple 10baseT twisted pair?

--
Regards,

Barry Wiggins

Post by Stan Drigg » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I'm in need of knowing how to define my TCP/IP network interface,
> network driver, and setting up the NIS client deamons on my AIX
> 4.1.4 box.

> I think my confusion is with the TCP/IP configurations.  In SMIT,
> I'm faced with en0, en1, et0, et1, tr0 as my network interfaces.
> The adapter has what looks like twisted pair, BNC, and
> some sort of 16-pin port.

> How do I configure TCP/IP for my simple 10baseT twisted pair?

This is not too hard.  Type "smit mktcpip" and select the interface
you want.  tr0 is a token-ring card, the others are ethernet.  Both
en0 and et0 refer to the same interface card (ent0). en is for the
old standard ethernet (old blue book) and et is for IEEE 802.3
ethernet.  The difference is that 802.3 has a few extra bytes in the
packet header.  Make sure that all of the hosts on the network that
wish to talk with each other are using the same protocol.  If you
are not sure, en is a safe bet.

Then set the hostname, IP address, subnet mask, and cable type (dix
is DigitalIntelXerox, aka AUI 16 pin - bnc is thinnet coax).  That's
all there is to it.  You can also set your default gateway and name-
server addresses, if you use these.

If your NIS server is on the same network, just use "smit yp" to set
the domain name, and configure as a client (ypbind).  If the server is
on another network, do the above, but then type this:

stopsrc -s ypbind
startsrc -s ypbind -a "-ypsetme"
ypset yourserverhostname

and edit the /etc/rc.nfs file to do this on restart.  It would be better
to define a slave server on the same network, and avoid the ypset
command.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Stan Driggs                        ENSCO, Inc.
Sr. Systems Engineer               ISS Division

Voice: (607) 751-5502              Owego, NY 13827
FAX  : (607) 687-4733

1. Setup NIS client for AIX server

Dear folks,

I would like to know the way to set up a NIS client on RH 5.0 with
the IBM RS/6000 running AIX 4.2.1 or Digital machine running Digital
UNIX 3.0. Any experience?

I found that NIS client within RH 5.0 is of version 3.0, (i.e. NIS plus)
but I have only NIS server version 2.  How can I connect version 3 client
with version 2 server?

Any help is appreciated through e-mail or posting.

Thank you in advance.

--
Morris Law
Assistant Computer Officer    Address : 224 Waterloo Road, KLN, Hong Kong

2. Traffic Generation

3. AIX, TCP Wrapper, 95 Client w/Dynamic IP

4. Partboot for USB floppy drives

5. RH 6.1 - TCP/IP client setup

6. modem works only after warm reboot, please help

7. ftp with AIX NIS client and Linux NIS Server

8. LILO on a Tomcat 1

9. IP addr change on NIS+ server & clients

10. Sol 2.5 NIS Server & 2.4 NIS Client?

11. TCP/IP setup & smit

12. NIS+ server/NIS client & secure rpc (keyserv) Problem

13. TCP/IP setup & smit