Cannot see server on network

Post by Dirk Moolma » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:50:58

First I must specify, I am new in the world of unix administration, and also
do not know much about networking.

I have a problem on AIX 4.3.3 - I have one server that some users can ping,
and others not. My network administrator tells me there is something wrong
on the server, and not on the network.

The connection was fine until later yesterday. What can I look for - any
ideas ?

Regards
Dirk

Cannot see server on network

Post by Alan Do » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:33:46

Have you checked your subnets?

> First I must specify, I am new in the world of unix administration, and also
> do not know much about networking.

> I have a problem on AIX 4.3.3 - I have one server that some users can ping,
> and others not. My network administrator tells me there is something wrong
> on the server, and not on the network.

> The connection was fine until later yesterday. What can I look for - any
> ideas ?

> Regards
> Dirk

Cannot see server on network

Post by cyberba » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 00:56:22

please post the error message when other servers can't ping your server,
hope can get clue from it.

regards

*baby

Post by Steve Johns » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:38:29

> please post the error message when other servers can't ping your server,
> hope can get clue from it.

> regards

> *baby

Look at netstat -i to check your interfaces.
look at netstat -r to check your routes
use entstat to check for errors on the interfaces.

use ping -R or traceroute to try and identify where the packets maybe getting
stopped.

Cannot see server on network

Post by Ron Gran » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:49:33

If the folks that can't ping are not in the same subnet as the server
but the users that can are, it could be that the default gateway for
the server is missing or incorrect.  Packets sent in hit the server
but the reply doesn't come back.  It is hard to say without more
information.

Good luck.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:50:58 +0200, "Dirk Moolman"

>First I must specify, I am new in the world of unix administration, and also
>do not know much about networking.

>I have a problem on AIX 4.3.3 - I have one server that some users can ping,
>and others not. My network administrator tells me there is something wrong
>on the server, and not on the network.

>The connection was fine until later yesterday. What can I look for - any
>ideas ?

>Regards
>Dirk

Cannot see server on network

Post by Dirk Moolma » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:19:54

Thank you for the replies eveyone. I will keep the suggestions in my
knowledge base.  I rebooted the server before I got any of your replies, and
the connection was ok again. Unfortunately my knowledge is too little to
explain what happened and why it was fixed with the reboot.

Regards
Dirk

Quote:> First I must specify, I am new in the world of unix administration, and
also
> do not know much about networking.

> I have a problem on AIX 4.3.3 - I have one server that some users can
ping,
> and others not. My network administrator tells me there is something wrong
> on the server, and not on the network.

> The connection was fine until later yesterday. What can I look for - any
> ideas ?

> Regards
> Dirk

1. Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
three machines I'm trying to use:

Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
    IP address 192.168.1.1
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Firewall

NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
    IP address 192.168.2.1
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Racer

Win98 Machine
    IP address 192.168.2.2
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Scanner

I've configured the Win98 to disable master browsing, and have Samba set up
to have printers and folders shared.  I can access the Samba machine through
"Find Computers", and can access the printers and shared folders if I type
in the address directly, but I can't seem to get it to appear in the Network
Neighbourhood on either machine!

This is my log.nmb entry:
1999/08/06 15:59:03 *****   Samba name server FIREWALL is now a local master
browser for workgroup HOME on subnet 192.168.1.1 *****

I don't want to paste my entire smb.conf file here as it will suck up
bandwidth, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as
to what to do, or what parts of the conf file I should post.

I've already checked FAQ's and old newsgroup postings, but nothing seems to
be working here....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

2. iproute save/restore script - first shoot

3. Seeing school network from private network

4. C-v of emacs doesn't work anymore?

5. Can't see server until server sees me

6. Spreadsheet for plotting in Linux?

7. Cannot ping lo0 (Cannot reach the destination network)

8. linux and Mac

9. Network access OK but server cannot use internet

10. Cannot browse the machine-name of the Samba Server in another Sub-network !?

11. Cannot browse all samba (SMB) servers with SCOPE ID under the Network Neighborhood !?

12. Cannot see the machine name of the Samba Server in another network !?

13. DOSEMU: A network server cannot be found