Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by m.. » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to compile C and C++ source code with
gcc and g++ (2.95.2) so that dbx will debug the binaries.

If I try to use dbx it just reports 1000s of internal errors

TIA

Mark

Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by Bob Hablutze » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Mark -

    Near as I can tell, no can do. gcc does not output dbx compatible stab
(symbol table) information.

Bob

Quote:> Hi All,

> Does anyone know how to compile C and C++ source code with
> gcc and g++ (2.95.2) so that dbx will debug the binaries.

> If I try to use dbx it just reports 1000s of internal errors

> TIA

> Mark

Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by David Edelsoh » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "Bob Hablutzel" writes:

Bob> Near as I can tell, no can do. gcc does not output dbx compatible stab
Bob> (symbol table) information.

>> Does anyone know how to compile C and C++ source code with
>> gcc and g++ (2.95.2) so that dbx will debug the binaries.

>> If I try to use dbx it just reports 1000s of internal errors

        G++ and IBM's C-Set++ compilers mangle C++ symbols differently, so
the compilers and de*s cannot interoperate.  If you only care about
debugging C and not C++, dbx can understand gcc debugging information just
fine.  If you do run into a problem because of the GCC debugging
extensions, please us "-gxcoff" instead of "-g" as described in the GCC
documentation.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center

+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by m.. » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Mark -

>    Near as I can tell, no can do. gcc does not output dbx compatible stab
>(symbol table) information.

Hi Bob and thanks for your reply.  I have a problem - I can't use gdb
because it doesn't support threads on AIX (I think) and I can't use
dbx!

Regards,

Mark Williams
http://www.techop.co.uk

Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by Bob Hablutze » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Mark -

   Yeah, it's frustrating. I was working on a de* for a while that
could understand both gcc and xlC name mangling, but I've run out of time
for the project...

Bob

> >Mark -

> >    Near as I can tell, no can do. gcc does not output dbx compatible
stab
> >(symbol table) information.

> Hi Bob and thanks for your reply.  I have a problem - I can't use gdb
> because it doesn't support threads on AIX (I think) and I can't use
> dbx!

> Regards,

> Mark Williams
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Please help: dbx with gcc/g++

Post by David Edelsoh » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "Bob Hablutzel" writes:

Bob> Yeah, it's frustrating. I was working on a de* for a while that
Bob> could understand both gcc and xlC name mangling, but I've run out of time
Bob> for the project...

        Support for HP's C++ compiler name mangling has been added to the
GNU c++filt program, so adding support for AIX C++ compiler is doable and
could be incorporated as well.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center

+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

1. GCC-i2.6.3 compiling (gcc with pentium optimiz's) PLEASE HELP US!!

:>Has anyone managed to build GCC-i2.6.3 ?
:>
:>I've been playing around with it the last few days but I haven't gotten
:>it to work well.
:>
:>I'm running Linux 1.2.5 and I've got gcc-2.6.3, and I've gotten the
:>pentium version to compile, but it won't compile the kernel (or itself)
:>without ending on "internal compiler error"
:>
:>I unpacked it into a subdirectory under root, and ran configure. I
:>compiled it (make -- so it builds everything), and did stage2 and even
:>once a stage3 compile (with -O2 -mpentium options), and it creates xgcc.
:>
:>However, the resulting compiler doesn't work very well -- as I said, it
:>stops with the error I described.  (yes, cmp and bison are installed).
:>
:>---
:>
:>More to the point, is it worth it?   Is anyone here running a pentium
:>optimized kernel (or applications)?  If so, are they visibly faster
:>and are they stable?
:>
:>It's been said that the kernel won't compile with -O4 -mpentium, but
:>will -O3 work?
:>
:>Mark Orr

:>

Yes! I am having the *exact* same problem and I cannot for the life of me
figure out how to compile this new damn compiler.

If any compiler gurus out there know what the heck Mark and I are doing
wrong when compiling this i2.6.3 I would really appreciate it if you would
post the answers here as I think most of us pentium owners would be
interested in moving up to gcc-i2.6.3. (NOTICE: *i*2.6.3 it is *not* the
same compiler that comes with slackware 2.2.0 as I have gotten a lot of
people responding to my previous post on the subject saying to just get
that).

I have a pentium 100 and I would just love to go on an i2.6.3 compiling
binge and recompile everything I have to run faster :-)

Thanks for you help anybody and sorry I don't have an answer for you
Mark... we're in the same boat with no oars... or a compiler.

BTW shouldn't the i2.6.3 compiler Makefile use "gcc" to make the new stuff
instead of "cc"? What's the difference between the two when cc is really
just a link to gcc and why won't "gcc" make the new compiler?? (it just
dies on _multi in libgcc.a or something like that)?

- Jeff Wiegley

2. I'm Desperate: Proxy ARP and Bridging without the Bridge

3. ORTRAN and DBX - please help.

4. net data security?

5. GCC/dbx can they work together?

6. Is there LFS?

8. which cpu

9. Problems with gcc/dbx

10. ups & dbx breaks for gcc

11. debugging gcc compiled thread programms with dbx on Solaris?

12. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

13. dbx with gcc?