SCSI-3w vs SCSI-ultra-wide hard disk

Post by Tapas Ka » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

What is the difference between scsi-3w and scsi-2 f/w drive?
Which one is better?
TK

Post by DrBoo » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> What is the difference between scsi-3w and scsi-2 f/w drive?
> Which one is better?

So-called "SCSI-3" is basically SCSI-2 with a 16-bit bus and a 20MHz
data clock. Saying "SCSI-2 fast/wide" is silly. SCSI-2 fast OR wide
adapters exist, but if the adapter has both enhancements, then it's
SCSI-3.

Quote:> TK

-j

SCSI-3w vs SCSI-ultra-wide hard disk

Post by sysadmi » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

What is the most obvious reason for not wanting to go a cheaper route and
buy a 3rd-party scsi hdisk for a risc/6000?
TIA

Opinions my own and not representative of my employer
Do not listen to me: I have brain damage

>> What is the difference between scsi-3w and scsi-2 f/w drive?
>> Which one is better?

>So-called "SCSI-3" is basically SCSI-2 with a 16-bit bus and a 20MHz
>data clock. Saying "SCSI-2 fast/wide" is silly. SCSI-2 fast OR wide
>adapters exist, but if the adapter has both enhancements, then it's
>SCSI-3.

>> TK

>-j

SCSI-3w vs SCSI-ultra-wide hard disk

Post by Kennedyg » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What is the most obvious reason for not wanting to go a cheaper route and
>buy a 3rd-party scsi hdisk for a risc/6000?

Finger-pointing.  I have 23 RS/6000s where I work, and the ONLY systems that
consistently have disk drive problems or just "quirky" behavior (corrupted file
systems, fail to boot, etc.), are systems that have 3rd-party disk towers.  Of
course, since the disks aren't IBM, IBM won't touch them (and I don't blame
them).

If you get all IBM equipment, you stand a MUCH better chance of being able to
isolate hardware problems when diagnostics doesn't find any problems (is it the
adapter?  the disk?  the cable?  the machine?  the tower?)

I've been on both sides of the fence -- I worked for IBM and now I'm a
customer, and I still prefer to go all IBM.  It's worth the cost when you have
critical systems and critical data.

Kevin Gee
Senior AIX Systems Admin
Protection One

Post by Daniel Packm » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>If you get all IBM equipment, you stand a MUCH better chance of being able to
>isolate hardware problems when diagnostics doesn't find any problems (is it
>the adapter?  the disk?  the cable?  the machine?  the tower?) ...

Good point. If you have the money, this makes sense.
But one may end up paying four times the amount for
essentially the same equipment. An alternative for
those with service contracts is to check with your
service people and see if a given third party piece
of hardware (disk or memory or...) can be put on
contract. Then you have the benefit saving money at
purchase time and have somewhat limited the finger
pointing.