Gigabit ethernet on AIX

Post by Marc Porrewyc » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm testing the new gigabit ethernet PCI cards on silver node in AIX 4.2.1
and AIX 4.3.2.
With AIX 4.2.1. using ftp in bin mode, I do 20,5 Mbytes/s. This is good but
is still below the limits anounces by IBM.
Does anybody have an idea about tuning parameters (and values) to increase
this speed?

Thanks.

Gigabit ethernet on AIX

Post by Chuck Kuhlma » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Do remember that the silver nodes are 'PCI Challenged'; it's very easy
to run into a hard backplane data rate which is lower than the
theoretical data rate of any installed cards.  In some respects
(backplane spec) and in some applications, a silver node is no better
internally than a 604e high node.

Much depends on exactly which PCI slot your Gigabit ethernet card is
installed in, what kind of switch traffic is running, and so on.

There are very specific card placement requirements for the silver
nodes.

As far as tuning, the 'no -a' type tcpip parameters are what you want to
look at for IP stack 'tuning'.

Card tuning is done by running <lsattr -El> against the physical card to
see what tunables can be set at the card hardware level.

Gigabit ethernet on AIX

Post by David Lun » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:18:08 +0200, "Marc Porrewyck"

>With AIX 4.2.1. using ftp in bin mode, I do 20,5 Mbytes/s. This is good but
>is still below the limits anounces by IBM.

Are you sure that you're able to read the file off the disk any
faster? I would recommend trying 4 FTP's of a file large enough to fit
in your real memory. So, if you have 4GB of memory, use a 3.75GB file
and FTP it several times. The first try will be the "disk read" speed,
the subsequent FTPs will be "memory-to-network" speed.

As mentioned in other posts, there are network tuning parameters that
are also applicable

        -- David

1. Gigabit Ethernet on AIX 4.2 and 4.3?

Does anyone know of any Gigabit Ethernet Solutions for AIX 4.2 and 4.3 (other
than IBM's own Gigabit Card). Any driver/card solutions from the likes of
Intel, 3Com, Alteon, SysKonnect?  The most important facts are that it be a PCI
Adapter and have drivers for 4.2.  Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Message catalogues ... supported in Linux?

3. gigabit ethernet on aix

4. Checking SSE Register bit for a PCI device

5. Is jumbo ethernet MTU possible with Hamachi Gigabit ethernet driver?

6. Open Server 5.05 pseudo-ttys assignment

7. gigabit ethernet performance - Solaris 2.6, gem ethernet driver

8. tcp performance on sol2.6/Sparc

9. Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)

10. tuning gigabit ethernet and IP stack??

11. Gigabit Ethernet on Solaris 2.6

12. gigabit ethernet question

13. gigabit ethernet