Unmounting a file system Forcely

Post by Kisho » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:39:34

Hai,
Iam runing a script in which first few of the file systems willl be
unmounted.
And if any one of the file System is not unmounted properly then my
Entire Script fails
My question is, Is there any way to unmount a file System forcely,Iam
using fuser -kux <file System Name> before unmounr command ,even with
this my requirment is not fullfilled completely,Bcoze i dont known wat
the reason is but sometimes the file systems are not getting unmounted
properly, Hence my Script fails.
I had even noticed couple of times in my other servers,where the file
systems will not gett unmounted, If i user fuser also it wont show any
process that is linked,inorder to unmount a filesystem i had rebooted
the system(Which i Feel is not a Solution).
I will be greatfull if anybody help me out in this situation

Thanking you in Anticipation

Unmounting a file system Forcely

Post by Steve Harr » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:51:46

Hi,

From the AIX 4.3 System Support study guide - page 145.

It mentions fuser not showing users in fuser but a file system not
being able to be unmounted could be due to a kernel extension.
Apparently the genex command will report all loaded kernel extensions.
 Another possible solution is that there are file systems mounted
under the filesystem you are trying to unmount.

Hope it's of some use.

Cheers - Steve

> Hai,
> Iam runing a script in which first few of the file systems willl be
> unmounted.
> And if any one of the file System is not unmounted properly then my
> Entire Script fails
> My question is, Is there any way to unmount a file System forcely,Iam
> using fuser -kux <file System Name> before unmounr command ,even with
> this my requirment is not fullfilled completely,Bcoze i dont known wat
> the reason is but sometimes the file systems are not getting unmounted
> properly, Hence my Script fails.
> I had even noticed couple of times in my other servers,where the file
> systems will not gett unmounted, If i user fuser also it wont show any
> process that is linked,inorder to unmount a filesystem i had rebooted
> the system(Which i Feel is not a Solution).
> I will be greatfull if anybody help me out in this situation

> Thanking you in Anticipation

Unmounting a file system Forcely

Post by Kisho » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:14:32

It is really a good piece of informatin about kernel extension,
thankyou very much for that. Is there any way to solve this, iam least
bothred about the data of those file systems which iam
unmounting,Bcoze after this process the entire data will be refreshed
any how.

i had checked the file systems, iam sure that there are no file
systems mounted on that file system which iam tring to unmount.

Rgds

Post by Clive Sparke » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:12:23

> It is really a good piece of informatin about kernel extension,
> thankyou very much for that. Is there any way to solve this, iam least
> bothred about the data of those file systems which iam
> unmounting,Bcoze after this process the entire data will be refreshed
> any how.

> i had checked the file systems, iam sure that there are no file
> systems mounted on that file system which iam tring to unmount.

> Rgds

> > Hi,

> > From the AIX 4.3 System Support study guide - page 145.

> > It mentions fuser not showing users in fuser but a file system not
> > being able to be unmounted could be due to a kernel extension.
> > Apparently the genex command will report all loaded kernel extensions.
> >  Another possible solution is that there are file systems mounted
> > under the filesystem you are trying to unmount.

> > Hope it's of some use.

> > Cheers - Steve

> > > Hai,
> > > Iam runing a script in which first few of the file systems willl be
> > > unmounted.
> > > And if any one of the file System is not unmounted properly then my
> > > Entire Script fails
> > > My question is, Is there any way to unmount a file System forcely,Iam
> > > using fuser -kux <file System Name> before unmounr command ,even with
> > > this my requirment is not fullfilled completely,Bcoze i dont known wat
> > > the reason is but sometimes the file systems are not getting unmounted
> > > properly, Hence my Script fails.
> > > I had even noticed couple of times in my other servers,where the file
> > > systems will not gett unmounted, If i user fuser also it wont show any
> > > process that is linked,inorder to unmount a filesystem i had rebooted
> > > the system(Which i Feel is not a Solution).
> > > I will be greatfull if anybody help me out in this situation

> > > Thanking you in Anticipation

You can use genkld to show loaded shared objects & genkex to show loaded
kernel extensions.

To unload all unused shared objects use slibclean.

To unload kernel extensions use a vendor supplied tool (ie, oracle
loadext) or write something that uses sysconfig() with SYS_KULOAD
operation.

Regards,
Clive