Need help with elm 2.3 pl9 for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)

Need help with elm 2.3 pl9 for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)

Post by Tim Fredri » Sun, 23 Dec 1990 01:05:55

I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc compiler
under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the following message

    elm -z
    Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:  unknown return code -3

Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System 6000?  If so,
what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does anyone else have any
insight?

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division

Post by Ronald S. Wo » Sun, 23 Dec 1990 08:35:50

Tim> I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc
Tim> compiler under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the
Tim> following message

Tim>     elm -z Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:
Tim> unknown return code -3

Tim> Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System
Tim> 6000?  If so, what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does
Tim> anyone else have any insight?

Anyone volunteer to create a FAQ for this group yet? Anyhow, this one
came up originally six or seven months ago and more recently about a
month and a half ago. The solution is to make sure that -lcurses is
the only display library being linked into the executable in
src/Makefile. I believe -ltermcap gets put in automatically when you
run the configuration script. Again no source modifications are needed
for porting this program...

+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

Post by John F Haugh » Sun, 23 Dec 1990 04:25:12

>I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc compiler
>under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the following message

>    elm -z
>    Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:  unknown return code -3

>Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System 6000?  If so,
>what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does anyone else have any
>insight?

ELM 2.2PL16 compiled straight away, with very few changes if any.  The
source of the error you mentioned is that someone put the termcap file
in /lib/termcap/termcap.src or something like that.  A "find /lib -name
*termcap* -print" will find it for you.

Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
hiding place.
--
John F. Haugh II                             UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh

"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

Need help with elm 2.3 pl9 for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)

Post by Ronald S. Woan J » Mon, 24 Dec 1990 04:50:52

Quote:>ELM 2.2PL16 compiled straight away, with very few changes if any.  The
>source of the error you mentioned is that someone put the termcap file
>in /lib/termcap/termcap.src or something like that.  A "find /lib -name
>*termcap* -print" will find it for you.

Well this is unecessary as the curses library utilitizing terminfo
will work perfectly for elm (at least newer versions)...

Quote:>Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
>this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
>hiding place.

Good God! I didn't even realize that there was a termcap file! Thanks
for the info John...

Post by gary lowe » Fri, 28 Dec 1990 05:20:01

|Anyone volunteer to create a FAQ for this group yet? Anyhow, this one
|came up originally six or seven months ago and more recently about a

I'll happily take charge.  I had started work on a troubleshooting guide
to document my adventures learning AIX.  If people will send me their
favorite questions and answers I can try to post the first draft around
15 January.

Gary Lowell

Post by John F. Haugh » Sat, 05 Jan 1991 02:09:37

|>Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
|>this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
|>hiding place.
|
|Good God! I didn't even realize that there was a termcap file! Thanks
|for the info John...

I'm BACK!  My, it was a nice little vacation ...

The /etc/termcap file is currently hiding in /lib/libtermcap/termcap.src.
HyperSearch says to use TERMINFO instead of TERMCAP, but for some people
that isn't the best answer.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ

1. Need help with raw mode programs (AIX3.1 Risc-6000)

I am having trouble porting programs that want to use the tty in raw mode
usually for the purpose of serial data transfers.  These programs include
macget, macput, xmodem, pcomm, etc.  They use BSD line disciplines, but
something like:

    stty disp bsd ; macget stuff ; stty disp posix

doesn't seem to work for me.  These programs usually set up the terminal
with calls to ioctl such as:

    struct sgttyb ntty;
    ntty.sg_flags = RAW|ANYP;  /* Sets RAW mode, 8-bit i/f, any parity */
    ioctl (ttyfd, TIOCSETP, &ntty);

Can anyone tell me how to convert these programs to use the posix line
disciplines?  Or has anyone ported macget, macput, xmodem, etc., to the
Risc-System 6000 AIX3.1 successfully?  Can I know what you did?

Thanks in advance.  --Tim

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division

2. HP Jetdirect EX Plus 3

3. How do I install a modem on a Risc-6000 (AIX3.1.3003)?

4. who is this sad fcuk, on of Geritol, LaneDance, Plad, CrazyTrain, Depardeau, Fredrico, HHippo, Nigerian 419, Ryan, Seth J, Taylor, ourny, Jabber

5. Can't telnet to a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002)

6. fully compatible linux system?

7. Is there a program to display CPU load on the Risc-6000?

8. setuid, setgid

9. CommServer to RISC-6000

10. Can the Risc-6000 8mm tape drive read Exabyte tapes?

11. Looking for TeX for the Risc-6000

12. 3480 tape drive for RISC-6000

13. dataless RISC-6000?