Forcing info_gr using a different font dir? How?

Forcing info_gr using a different font dir? How?

Post by Chin Fa » Fri, 16 Aug 1991 17:15:26

Hi, I need to force info_gr to access a font dir that's different
from the default /usr/lpp/info/X11fonts.  But so far no success.

Can this be done?  I have converted all info_gr's snf fonts to
pcf format already and have installed such under our system font root
dir, but info_gr seems to be unwilling to use the new dir.  Now
every time it's invoked, it messes up some of my clients' font
display too, frustrating, frustrating :-(

I need to do such conversions so that our R5 server would work with
InfoExplorer, as the new server prefers pcf fonts.  rm -rf X11fonts
is unfeasible as I don't have root privilage on all our RISC 6000s :-(

(BTW, I don't use the /usr/bin/info script, I invoke info_gr directly.
 this is an easy way to keep my resources from being untampered
 by info :-)

Any hints?

Thanks,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University

Forcing info_gr using a different font dir? How?

Post by Andrew Daws » Sat, 17 Aug 1991 22:58:06

Quote:>Hi, I need to force info_gr to access a font dir that's different
>from the default /usr/lpp/info/X11fonts.  But so far no success.
>Can this be done?  I have converted all info_gr's snf fonts to
>pcf format already and have installed such under our system font root
>dir, but info_gr seems to be unwilling to use the new dir.  Now
>every time it's invoked, it messes up some of my clients' font
>display too, frustrating, frustrating :-(

Info has this horrible tendency to mess around with font paths. If
/usr/lpp/info/X11fonts isn't in the font path, it sticks it on the beginning.
This causes just about every third party X-station to *:-(

What you can try is using xset or something to add /usr/lpp/info/X11fonts to
the *end* of your font path. Info doesn't seem to tamper with it then. If you
then put a directory containing appropriately named fonts earlier in the font
path you should be ok.

Quote:>(BTW, I don't use the /usr/bin/info script, I invoke info_gr directly.
> this is an easy way to keep my resources from being untampered
> by info :-)

True, although we just commented out the offending lines.

Andrew.
--
*+*+* #include <std_disclaimer.h> /* must be a sloppy floppy somewhere */ *+*+*

          X.400: C=gb;ADMD=" ";PRMD=uk.ac;O=ucl;OU=sm;OU=uxm;S=andrew
*+*+*+*+*+ Leapers do it with assistance from neurological holograms *+*+*+*+*+