Any good Gui/Menu Admin tools for running RS/6000 / AIX

Any good Gui/Menu Admin tools for running RS/6000 / AIX

Post by Mark Balcom » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have a client who is interested in purchasing a Gui/Menu driven
program to help them administer the general day-to-day tasks on an
RS/6000 using AIX 4.1.

They are not keen on learning all Unix commands !

Does anybody know of such a piece of software or can anyone make a
recommendation.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Balcombe

Post by Kieron Johns » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have a client who is interested in purchasing a Gui/Menu driven
>program to help them administer the general day-to-day tasks on an
>RS/6000 using AIX 4.1.

>They are not keen on learning all Unix commands !

>Does anybody know of such a piece of software or can anyone make a
>recommendation.

>Thanks in advance,

>Mark Balcombe

Er, SMIT maybe??

Kieron Johnson                          Protocol Solutions Limited
                                        Fareham, England

Voice   : (44) 1489 885950
Fax     : (44) 1489 579361

Web Site: http://www.protocol-solutions.com

NOTE: My opinions are not neccessarily those of my employer

Post by Justin McInne » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have a client who is interested in purchasing a Gui/Menu driven
> program to help them administer the general day-to-day tasks on an
> RS/6000 using AIX 4.1.

> They are not keen on learning all Unix commands !

> Does anybody know of such a piece of software or can anyone make a
> recommendation.

> Thanks in advance,

> Mark Balcombe

Hello,
AIX has many tools already, the most famous of which being smit. Most
basic maintainence functions can be found under here.
On the GUI side as shipped since 3.2.5.1(vsm) and as part of AIX 4.x
server (and some on client) is a set of graphical tools -
xlvm
xuserm
xdevm
msmit (been around a lot longer)
If you have graphics amd have installed CDE.rte fileset, just login and
look in the system administration folder.

Other things like old 0byte size spool files, increasing wtmp file size,
misc files in /tmp will have to be dealt with manually, but are not
likely to cause any concern for perhaps months. Simple scripts can be
written to clean these on a long term basis.
All these tools will require a simple understanding of what AIX expects
you to put in, but via point n' click. There is NO real 'idiot proof'
menu system, save one you write yourselves.
Education.

Zabra
--
| Justin McInnes                         |

| /\oo/\There are no more bugs/\oo/\     |