Long boot time on RISC System/6000

Post by Bjorn Engs » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 18:12:55

We have a 520 with September updates and are experiencing very long boot
times.  It seems like it tries to boot from the diskette, the streamer
the cdrom, the video8, and eventually the harddisk.  We did try using
the bootlist command, but it still tries to access all those devices.

Any clues?

ORACLE Corporation    From IBM: auschs!ibmchs!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!oracle!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

Long boot time on RISC System/6000

Post by r.. » Wed, 07 Nov 1990 08:17:07

This is a shot in the dark:  Make sure that none of your SCSI devices
are set to SCSI ID 7, which is reserved for the SCSI controler.
I once saw a RISC system which had its 1/4" tape drive ID set to 7, and
it spent a LOT of time playing with the CD and tape drive before finishing
booting.  When I went to use the tape, it was not Available.
Do a quick check with "lsdev -C".  Just a guess.

IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN

Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674

1. FS: IBM RS/6000 Risc System/6000 SERVER POWERSTATION currently at $49.00

Please go to our webpage to see this and other great items that we have up for
auction on E-Bay.  Direct sales of items are also available.

http://WWW.JLAENTERPRISES.COM

Be sure to bookmark the page and check back weekly for many new items across
the board that will be added.  DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU NEED TODAY?  CALL
US AT (919) 844-0960 FOR DIRECT SALES.  We ship worldwide.

Thank You
JLA ENTERPRISES

WE BUY ANYTHING. CORPORATE ASSET RECOVERY/LIQUIDATION (AKA INVESTMENT
RECOVERY). SURPLUS, EXCESS INVENTORY, OVERSTOCK, OBSOLETE AND USED ITEMS. IF
YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL GIVE US A CALL!!! SINGLE PIECE OR MULTIPLE
TRUCKLOADS. WE WILL PICK UP FROM ANYWHERE IN THE US (BY TRUCKLOAD ONLY).
CORPORATIONS OR INDIVIDUALS. CASH PAID FOR ALL ITEMS WITH NO HASSLE!!! (919)

If the web address above does not work, an alternate site is:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jla_enterprises

2. tension wrench questions

3. Execution time difference between Mac and IBM RISC/6000

4. Linux, Athlons and RAID

5. Risc/6000 date/time after New Year's

6. mv all files in a dir - how?

7. Sound Blaster Support for RISC System/6000

8. checking quotas on NFS mounted partitions, under Ultrix.

9. Inaccurate system clock on IBM RISC 6000

10. Linux on IBM RISC System/6000 F50?!

11. IBM Risc System 6000 results in the "Dongarra report"

12. Anyone got an Imagen to work on a Risc-System 6000?