go away evil anonymous ftp!! and ftp questions

go away evil anonymous ftp!! and ftp questions

Post by the drag » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 04:52:23

Hi all.  We have been having problems with hackers playing around in
our ftp system through the anonymous login, so the decision has been
made to stop anonymous access and only allow restricted access through
individual user accounts.  Well, I'm having trouble.  I have created
indiv. accounts through smit, gave them their own directory structures
and group.  It looks something like this:

/home
  /ftp
    /pub
      /user1 (group a)
      /user2 (group a)
      /user3 (group b)
      /user4 (group b)
      /user5 (group b)
      /user6 (group b)

I want group a to be able to go into each other's directories, as well
as group b. (done)  But, I don't want them to be able to go up the
diretory tree or get out of the /pub directory.  Also, how do I turn
off anonymous ftp access?  I have tried all different kinds of
directory permissions and locked the anonymous accounts, and I can get
part of the solution, but not the entire fix.  How can I accomplish
both of these tasks?

Post by Drew » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:06:30

> I want group a to be able to go into each other's directories, as well
> as group b. (done)  But, I don't want them to be able to go up the
> diretory tree or get out of the /pub directory.

You may want to experiment with chroot().  An example howto, assuming
wu-ftpd, can be found here: http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO

A quick google search will yield lots of info.

                                                     Also, how do I turn

Quote:> off anonymous ftp access?

Do you have an ftpaccess file?