How do I "stty erase" BEFORE login?

Post by Paul G. Fitzgeral » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

You might try first changing the behavior or your telnet client. My telnet
client has options such as "Backspace sends delete" and "Delete sends
backspace." It also allows you to remap keys to send specific escape
sequences.

Paul G. Fitzgerald

Quote:> All of my users use a Vt220 emulator that produces a DEL char
> for their backspace button on their PCs.  We do an "stty erase ^?"
> after they log in which sets their erase functionality fine, but they
> want it to work at the LOGIN and PASSWORD prompts, too.  Im thinking:
> 1) If I can find out how to set this in terminfo
> &
> 2) I can find or set the terminfo type that's used by default at the
> LOGIN prompt.
> I'm golden!

> Can anyone tell me how to do the equivalent of "stty erase ^?" in a
> terminfo definition?
> AND
> Can I do this to the "dumb" definition (that's what seems to be the
> default) and get the behavior I seek?  Or, alternatively, and probably
> even more desirable, how can I get VT220 (after I've modified it
> accordingly) to be the default TERM type for my telnet ptys?

> Thank you

How do I "stty erase" BEFORE login?

Post by Norman Levi » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

You'll have to look in the source file for terminfo.  Look at the entry for
"kbs"
- the characters sent by the key - backspace.  It probably say '^H'  Change
it.

--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

1. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

Hi,

I have Red Hat Linux 7.0 on i386. I have a spanish keyboard. The
special character "erase" is "^?" by default on my system, but when I
connect to remote
machines I need that erase = "^H", so, I want that whem my system
start, it get
erase = "^H" by default. How can I do it ?

Thanks in advance, Jose Luis.

2. - PPP on 24/7

3. Alter "stty erase" provided by telnet login???

4. MGR and vt100

5. xterm parameter to "stty erase" character

6. My mouse is screwed.

7. Strange problem with "stty erase"

8. What is the best way to run commands like "shutdown" or "mount" as user?

11. how 2 change this "hostname login:" to simple "login:"

12. how can i automatically do "stty -ixon" on login?

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...