porting problems with AIXv3.1 for the Risc System/6000

porting problems with AIXv3.1 for the Risc System/6000

Post by Kathy Bohr » Fri, 23 Nov 1990 09:42:11

I would like to know which public domain software is difficult to
port to the Risc System/6000, AIXv3.1.  If you know of porting problems,
please mail me the name of the utility and where its source is available.
Also, a brief description of the porting problems would be helpful.

Thanks,
- Kathy Bohrer
  IBM
  AIX System Architect
  uunet!ibmsupt!kbohrer

porting problems with AIXv3.1 for the Risc System/6000

Post by Paul Pomes - UofIllinois C » Mon, 26 Nov 1990 01:11:37

*Sigh*

How hard can it be to put the FQDN in the From: line?  Really folks, it
doesn't inspire confidence that IBM products can interoperate with the rest
of the world.  Now if only the DNS records for austin.ibm.com reflected
reality (or were there at all).

From comp.unix.aix Sat Nov 24 09:46:16 1990

Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
Subject: porting problems with AIXv3.1 for the Risc System/6000

Date: 22 Nov 90 00:42:11 GMT

To answer the posting, yes some software is difficult to port to AIX.  The
reasons are usually missing structures from #include files.  Some were
relocated to other #include files or gratuitously re-named.  Moving large
portions of libc.a into the kernel hasn't helped.  Please explain how I
can find a bug in malloc when the de* leaps into assembler?  Or how to
use my own when other system routines continue to use the kernel version?

IBM could sell a lot more RS6000 boxes by offering a straight 4.3 or 4.4 port.
AIX is needlessly complex for little gain in functionality.  System management
demands more time because it does everything differently than other UNIX
systems.  Adding a local daemon is a real education in AIX weirdness.  Rumor
has it that mach is coming for the RS6000.  If so then perhaps we can kiss
AIX goodbye soon.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

1. FS: IBM RS/6000 Risc System/6000 SERVER POWERSTATION currently at $49.00

Please go to our webpage to see this and other great items that we have up for
auction on E-Bay.  Direct sales of items are also available.

http://WWW.JLAENTERPRISES.COM

Be sure to bookmark the page and check back weekly for many new items across
the board that will be added.  DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU NEED TODAY?  CALL
US AT (919) 844-0960 FOR DIRECT SALES.  We ship worldwide.

Thank You
JLA ENTERPRISES

WE BUY ANYTHING. CORPORATE ASSET RECOVERY/LIQUIDATION (AKA INVESTMENT
RECOVERY). SURPLUS, EXCESS INVENTORY, OVERSTOCK, OBSOLETE AND USED ITEMS. IF
YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL GIVE US A CALL!!! SINGLE PIECE OR MULTIPLE
TRUCKLOADS. WE WILL PICK UP FROM ANYWHERE IN THE US (BY TRUCKLOAD ONLY).
CORPORATIONS OR INDIVIDUALS. CASH PAID FOR ALL ITEMS WITH NO HASSLE!!! (919)

If the web address above does not work, an alternate site is:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jla_enterprises

2. Compile linux

3. RISC System/6000 SCSI MICROCODE DISKETTE PROBLEMS!

4. Cisco Pro ISA ISDN adapter. Routing...

5. Has anybody ported X11R4 server on RISC/6000?

6. mod_auth_msql on linux

7. Is there a Linux port to old IBM RISC/6000?

8. simple script help

9. Sound Blaster Support for RISC System/6000

10. Inaccurate system clock on IBM RISC 6000

11. Long boot time on RISC System/6000

12. Linux on IBM RISC System/6000 F50?!

13. IBM Risc System 6000 results in the "Dongarra report"