Printing Problem

Post by Jim Arago » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We just migrated our Oracle financial system from a DEC Alpha running DEC
UNIX to an RS/6000 running AIX 4.3.2. We had a Genicom Model 4470 (I
think--typing from memory at home) connected to the parallel port on the
DEC Alpha for printing reports on wide tractor-feed paper.

We moved the Genicom printer to the RS/6000, and now our reports
frequently stop printing part way through. Sometimes we get the whole
thing, especially if it's a short report, sometimes we only get two or
three pages, sometimes we get twenty or thirty pages. The job is not stuck
in the queue. When printing stops, the queue is empty, but not all of the
data has come through. The reports are all plain ASCII text files that are
being printed with the lp command.

This does not happen when we send reports to the LaserJet network
printers, only to the directly attached Genicom printer.

Today we had to disconnect the printer from the RS/6000, reconnect it to
the DEC Alpha, and transfer our print jobs to the DEC Alpha in order to
get our reports out.

What have I got misconfigured here?

Thanks,
Jim

Printing Problem

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Did you connect the Genicom printer to the parallel port on your AIX
system? If not and you have it connected to a serial port check how
pacing is set on your printer port. Make sure pacing on the printer
matches the pacing setting on your port, i.e. Xon/Xoff. If it still on
a parallel port I would try an new IEEE-1284 compliant parallel cable.

Just my $.02.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.

Printing Problem

Post by Jim Arago » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> : We just migrated our Oracle financial system from a DEC Alpha running DEC
> : UNIX to an RS/6000 running AIX 4.3.2. We had a Genicom Model 4470 (I
> : think--typing from memory at home) connected to the parallel port on the
> : DEC Alpha for printing reports on wide tractor-feed paper.
> : We moved the Genicom printer to the RS/6000, and now our reports
> : frequently stop printing part way through. Sometimes we get the whole
> : thing, especially if it's a short report, sometimes we only get two or
> : three pages, sometimes we get twenty or thirty pages. The job is not stuck
> : in the queue. When printing stops, the queue is empty, but not all of the
> : data has come through. The reports are all plain ASCII text files that are
> : being printed with the lp command.
> Did you connect the Genicom printer to the parallel port on your AIX
> system? If not and you have it connected to a serial port check how
> pacing is set on your printer port. Make sure pacing on the printer
> matches the pacing setting on your port, i.e. Xon/Xoff. If it still on
> a parallel port I would try an new IEEE-1284 compliant parallel cable.

Yes, I should have mentioned, it's on the paralel port of the RS/6000.

1. Solaris 2.7 Print then No Print Problem

Server Configuration: Sun UltraSPARC-10, 300MHz UltraSPARC processor, with
256MB of RAM running Sun Solaris 2.7

I've been struggling with a, for me, perplexing problem in getting a cgi to
compile and work.  Note that this
software has been working under SUN 2.5 and 2.6.

The program uses a number of i/o functions, including lseek, open, close,
read, printf, fprintf, fwrite, and fgetc, as well as mSQL database
functions.  The problem is that the printf works initially, but then later
stops working; albeit without error.

I've stepped through the code with gdb and see nothing unusual.

Although I wouldn't doubt that there could well be a program problem on my
part, I don't see it.

The program flow is as follows.  Please note that while the program is
substantial in size, the process flow is exactly as shown; hence 99% of the
program doesn't execute prior to the difficulty.  The difficulty remains
consistent whether run from the prompt or as a database maintenance utility
in which HTML is parsed and written back to the server.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
. . .

int main()
{
    initialization();
    .  .  .

void initialization()
{
    llist entries;
    printf("before");
    cgiHTMLStatus = read_cgi_input(&entries);
    formActionString = cgi_val(entries, "formAction");
    printf("after");

    . . .

The second print statement doesn't appear!  the read_input_entries(...) is
http://www.eekim.com's cgihtml which is heavily used.  However, thinking
that it might be somehow connected with his code, I replaced
it with a version of my own and got exactly the same result - no printf
"after" output to stdout.

All software and libraries have been compiled on the same 2.7 system.

I have a hunch that somehow I have some incompatible headers or libraries in
the mix, but my checking has thusfar ruled that out.

I've tried lots of combinations in an effort to isolate the point where it
fails, but every combination has worked except for the combination I need to
produce the required functionality.  For instance, I have tried making a
program which contains all the same headers, but only the logic which is
exercised prior to the problem.  It worked!

I have several more things to try, but thought while I was trying them, I'd
check to see whether anyone was having any similar problems.  Any thoughts,
suggestions, clues, etc., would be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Phil Welch

2. DLink 524 router locked up...solved?

3. Printing problems- Can't print plain ascii

4. Job scheduler

5. printing problems: printer resets but no print

6. Show Log on tty8

7. Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

8. Cyrix 5x86 - Worth the upgrade?

9. Printing Problem - No Print

10. print problem, blank page printing

11. HP Printing Problem & Printing.HOWTO can't help!!!

12. Printing problem (Not printing first line) Help!

13. Printing Problem: Stair-Stepping when printing text