How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

Post by John Polhemu » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was AIX 4.1.4.
We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form of a mksysb
backup.

Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
getting the message stating that all available sessions are in use.  We
used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there license settings
somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a configuration file.

Thanks,
john

Post by Dan Harkles » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

 >We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
 >applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was AIX 4.1.4.
 >We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form of a mksysb
 >backup.
 >
 >Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
 >getting the message stating that all available sessions are in use.  We
 >used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there license settings
 >somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a configuration file.

SMIT has a setting somewhere under "Users..." that sets that number, but it
may not have any effect if you've lost a license file...

Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented a caller-ID-

Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me for more info.

Post by Norman Levi » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
> applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was AIX 4.1.4.
> We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form of a mksysb
> backup.

> Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
> getting the message stating that all available sessions are in use.  We
> used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there license settings
> somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a configuration file.

You can EITHER
a: smit chlicense
 - or -
vi /etc/security/login.cfg
/maxlogins
change the 2 to what you need
:wq
and you will need to reboot.
-------------
Norman Levin  - VM/dynAmIX inc

How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

Post by polhemu » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Any Idea where that license file is?

>  >We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
>  >applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was AIX 4.1.4.
>  >We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form of a mksysb
>  >backup.

>  >Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
>  >getting the message stating that all available sessions are in use.  We
>  >used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there license settings
>  >somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a configuration file.

> SMIT has a setting somewhere under "Users..." that sets that number, but it
> may not have any effect if you've lost a license file...

> Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented a caller-ID-

> Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me for more info.

How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

Post by polhemu » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Norm,

The smit chlicense fast path does not seem to be available with my current
setup.

I looked in /etc/security/login.cfg and the 2 was already 64.  The other
response to my query mentioned a license file?  Any comments on this?

Regards,
john

Post by Dan Harkles » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

 >>  >We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
 >>  >applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was AIX 4.1.4.
 >>  >We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form of a mksysb
 >>  >backup.
 >>  >
 >>  >Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
 >>  >getting the message stating that all available sessions are in use.  We
 >>  >used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there license settings
 >>  >somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a configuration file.
 >>
 >> SMIT has a setting somewhere under "Users..." that sets that number, but it
 >> may not have any effect if you've lost a license file...
 >
 >Any Idea where that license file is?

'Fraid not.  In fact, I'm only assuming that one exists.  All our machines
are the basic 2-user type.  I think I lied about the "SMIT" thing, though.
I just poked around and didn't see the setting.  I found the text file it
lives in, though:  /etc/security/login.cfg.  Mebbe the license info goes in
there (or it's supposed to contain a pointer to it)...

Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented a caller-ID-

Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me for more info.

How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

Post by Ben Stanley [Hockley » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Its:

--> smit
        --> System Environments
                --> Change / Show number of licensed users

...and then reboot

You don't need to have a licence key or anything to up the value from its
default (2?), but legally, of course, you do need to have paid for it!!!!

Ben.

> Subject: Re: How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

>  >We lost the boot pv, and have slowly been reinstalling the OS and
>  >applications on a RISC6000 Powerstation 591(?).  The OS was
> AIX 4.1.4.
>  >We have backups of the orginal files, but not in the form
> of a mksysb
>  >backup.

>  >Currently, excluding root, only 2 users can rlogin/telnet, before
>  >getting the message stating that all available sessions are
> in use.  We
>  >used to have unlimited rlogin capability.  Are there
> license settings
>  >somewhere that we need to update, or changes to a
> configuration file.

> SMIT has a setting somewhere under "Users..." that sets that
> number, but it
> may not have any effect if you've lost a license file...

> -------------
> Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented
> a caller-ID-

> "re-send" in
> Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me
> for more info.

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

How are the number of rlogins controlled AIX4.1.4?

Post by Dick Dunba » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

The number of logged in users is set by smit:

   smitty chgsys

There is no license file ... I think IBM recently eliminated the
licensing based on number of users, but you can set it to any
value your conscience allows.

Post by Dan Harkles » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

 >The number of logged in users is set by smit:
 >
 >   smitty chgsys
 >
 >There is no license file ... I think IBM recently eliminated the
 >licensing based on number of users, but you can set it to any
 >value your conscience allows.

Hm.  Back when my company was having trouble with this (and we engineers
didn't know that only 2-user licenses had been bought), we tried that and it
didn't work.  Maybe we failed to reboot after making the change...

Post by Bruce Elric » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>  >The number of logged in users is set by smit:

>  >   smitty chgsys

>  >There is no license file ... I think IBM recently eliminated the
>  >licensing based on number of users, but you can set it to any
>  >value your conscience allows.

> Hm.  Back when my company was having trouble with this (and we engineers
> didn't know that only 2-user licenses had been bought), we tried that and it
> didn't work.  Maybe we failed to reboot after making the change...

Well it used to be (I haven't looked at the marketing/packaging of AIX 4.3)
that you could buy AIX for Clients and AIX for Servers.  The latter included
the fileset bos.sysmgt.loginlic which contains three files:

/usr/sbin/monitord
/usr/bin/lslicense
/usr/bin/chlicense

without this fileset, AIX (the login function) defaults to allowing only two
non-root logins at a time (any number of named users, FTP didn't use the login
function but simply read /etc/security/passwd so this didn't restrict ftp
sessions).

With the appropriate number of licenses added using chlicense, the login
function would allow more logins.  Changing to floating licenses caused the
monitord to run, although I never played with that so I don't know how it
functioned.

If you hadn't purchased AIX for servers, the AIX for Clients CD did not
contain the fileset and there was no way to get more than two licenses.  You
could purchase the upgrade, get the proper CD, install the fileset, then
increase the license to the correct value (on the honour system).

These days most (commercial) application users aren't named AIX users and thus
these login limits wouldn't apply anyway.  The time you might see a large
user population logged into a large system would be a development system with
lots of developers or in an academic environment where users are more likely
to use the shell environment.  I suppose also a company with a lot of
engineers too.  Anyone else seen other situations where there is a significant
population of AIX users?  In any case, I think there's less impetus for IBM
(and other OS vendors) to charge by OS users because applications skirt around
these restrictions more today.

Cheers...
Bruce
--
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.                       Saltus Technology Consulting Group

1. can't make inn1.5.1 on aix4.1.4

Started trying to compile inn1.5.1 on our POWERPC 42T running AIX
4.1.4 (C compiler being xlc 3.1.3) yesterday.
First i used the sample-configs/config.data-aix-4.1.4
and then the one recommended for AIX 4.1.4 in INN FAQ Part 2
But both trials came back with errors during the phase after the
 cc  -o encode encode.o ../libinn.a command
, that is when commands like:

lint -b -h -wkD -I../include -DGROUP_SHARED inews.c      ../llib-linn
 | sed -n -f ../sedf.aix  >lint
... etc were executed

Error message being :
lint error: 1286-308 End of file reached before expected in .
Questions:
1. What's wrong with my compiler or OS ?
2. Was it the lint problem or the sed problem (i used the one in
/usr/bin, not the one from gnu) ?

Moreover i got messages like the following earlier. Do they matter?
Expect 6 shift/reduce conflicts
 yacc parsedate.y
conflicts: 6 shift/reduce

3. It seems like the 2 config.data (mentioned above)for AIX 4.1.4 are quite
 different. Why ? Which one is better ?
--
        __

  /      ( -------------  }  System Support Programmer
 (  =l=ll===============__}  Computing & Telecomm. Services Centre
  \   _  (                   Hong Kong Baptist University
   \_/ \__)                  224 Warerloo Road, Hong Kong

2. Upgrading video card for Linux (RH 6.2)

3. Runaway process on SP2 w/AIX4.1.4

4. sendmail anti-spam question

5. aix4.1.4 nfs problems

6. diehard daemon

7. Imprimindo do aix4.1.4 em windows nt server 4.0

8. Linux 2.2 + IDE RAID 5 in hardware

9. OSPF with AIX4.1.4

10. Printer drivers for AIX4.1.4 / HP Laserjet 5si

11. TOC overflow on AIX4.1.4

12. errpt LFTDD AIX4.1.4

13. How to recover AIX4.1.4 from tar