How to share one SSA filesystem between two hosts

How to share one SSA filesystem between two hosts

Post by Rune Mossi » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:05:38

Hello,
I have one 7133 cabinet, where one side is filled with 4GB SSA disks.

I want to make this RAID5 volume group available to two hosts, where
one host see the filesystem as read only, and the other host see it
as read/write.

I have two SSA Multi-Iniator/RAID EL Micro Channel adapters, and two
RS6000 590's where I want to implement this on.

Looking in the SSA Users guide, I see example of how to connect
up two adapters in each host, using 16 disks, but I only have
one adapter in each host, and 8 disks...

Is there any pointers out there which could give some more
details about how to connect up and configure such a system?

(-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded machines appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.
Rune Mossige, Systems Support Engineer, WesternGeco, Stavanger, Norway
Tel: (+47)51946869                             Mobile:(+47)90871024

Post by Simon Marches » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:45:17

> Hello,
> I have one 7133 cabinet, where one side is filled with 4GB SSA disks.

> I want to make this RAID5 volume group available to two hosts, where
> one host see the filesystem as read only, and the other host see it
> as read/write.

> I have two SSA Multi-Iniator/RAID EL Micro Channel adapters, and two
> RS6000 590's where I want to implement this on.

> Looking in the SSA Users guide, I see example of how to connect
> up two adapters in each host, using 16 disks, but I only have
> one adapter in each host, and 8 disks...

SSA cabling is difficult to describe in text but move you eight disks into
slots 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16 and then cable the top pair of ports on each SSA
card to one pair of SSA ports on the subsystem (1/16 or 4/5 or 8/9 or
12/13).

Quote:> Is there any pointers out there which could give some more
> details about how to connect up and configure such a system?

You can do this with GPFS, but not with JFS. JFS is not supported in
concurrent access.

Post by Rune Mossi » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:04:14

: > Hello,
: > I have one 7133 cabinet, where one side is filled with 4GB SSA disks.
: >
[...]

I have heard numerous people saying the same.....I will end up with
having to do a series of 'unmount, varyoffvg, varyonvg, mount' on
the two systems. Anyway, thanks for the info.

(-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded machines appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.
Rune Mossige, Systems Support Engineer, WesternGeco, Stavanger, Norway
Tel: (+47)51946869                             Mobile:(+47)90871024

1. Sharing SSA Disk Subsystem between two Hosts

Hi, we are thinking to implement a "custom" solution for High
Availability,

1) two Hosts that share a SSA enclosure.
2) 1 SSA Adapter per Host
3) 2 loops
    Host1 A1  (enclosure)  Host2 A2
    Host1 A2  (enclosure)  Host2 A1

We want to share a volume with Oracle Binaries and Oracle raw devices,
the
idea is that a Oracle Instance run on Host1 and if we have a total
failure of
Host1 then start-up the same Oracle Instance on Host2. Can anybody
explain us
how we can do this at Aix level ????

(4.3.3 ML 08 without HACMP).

Thanks.

2. Problems with 3D Expression

3. Two hosts sharing one SCSI bus

4. UDMA 66 install problems

5. Two Nets, Two Modems, One Host

6. linux multipath per session route

7. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

8. Why no M$ AppleScript or Rexx imitations?

9. Q: Can I have one filesystem over two disks?

10. one filesystem on two disks?

11. striping two physical disks into one logical volume/filesystem (how to)?

12. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

13. one filesystem on two disk?