How to restore a volumegroup backuped with savevg when the disk went down...

How to restore a volumegroup backuped with savevg when the disk went down...

Post by Roman Schic » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:52:16

I have a VG "user2" with only one physical disk
and 3 lvs:
1.) loglv01
2.) lv06
3.) lv08

i have a backup made with "savegv -i -f /dev/rmt0.1 user2"

The disk is physically damaged now...

How to restore the data?

I tried to restore the data to a new installed (identical) disk on VG
"user3" but failed with the restore-command. I can list the content
but cannot restore the data with something like "restore -xqdvf
/dev/rmt0.1" - the tape is searching for something not available....

If i replace the disk with the new one (Same scsi-id and so on) and
try to restore with "smitty restvg" do i have to delete the VG
"user2"??

Is there a possibility to restore the data to another VG??

Backup-Volume-Data is:
Cluster 51200 Bytes (100 Blocks).
    volume number 1
    date of backup ......
    Files backed up by name
    User root

Can anyone help me pls?

KR
R. Schicht

How to restore a volumegroup backuped with savevg when the disk went down...

Post by F. Michael Or » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:07:48

Quote:> I have a VG "user2" with only one physical disk
> and 3 lvs:
> 1.) loglv01
> 2.) lv06
> 3.) lv08

> i have a backup made with "savegv -i -f /dev/rmt0.1 user2"

> The disk is physically damaged now...

> How to restore the data?

> I tried to restore the data to a new installed (identical) disk on VG
> "user3" but failed with the restore-command. I can list the content
> but cannot restore the data with something like "restore -xqdvf
> /dev/rmt0.1" - the tape is searching for something not available....

> If i replace the disk with the new one (Same scsi-id and so on) and
> try to restore with "smitty restvg" do i have to delete the VG
> "user2"??

If it is a single volume VG, and that volume is damaged, then why _not_
remove the VG?  I would reducevg the disk out of the VG, and thus delete the
VG.  Then, look at the man page for the 'restvg' command.  You will see that
you can restore your VG to a new disk not already in a VG, and 'user2' will
exist on the new (undamaged) disk.  I would also 'rmdev -dl' the bad disk
and then replace it.

Quote:> Is there a possibility to restore the data to another VG??

> Backup-Volume-Data is:
> Cluster 51200 Bytes (100 Blocks).
>     volume number 1
>     date of backup ......
>     Files backed up by name
>     User root

> Can anyone help me pls?

> KR
> R. Schicht

1. deleting VolumeGroup where physical volume is gone

--

System Administrator Manager, ECE               Office: HH1304
Carnegie Mellon University                      (412) 268-5141

2. Oops when trying to reboot

3. A backup modem incase dsl goes down

4. FIDO Software

5. restoring a single file in a savevg??

6. REQ: copy of hostcvt to converrt hosts.conf to named

7. restoring files from savevg

8. Diamond Netcommander

9. restoring files and directories from 'savevg' archive

10. tape block size, savevg & restore

11. df display wrong value after restoring a savevg tape

12. Interfaces don't go down when network is physically down

13. Disk going down or SCSI problem?