Please help!! I don't get a passoword prompt

Please help!! I don't get a passoword prompt

Post by Cesar Torre » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I cannot enter a password at the console login prompt . I've never seen this
before. It ask for the name and gives no opportunity to enter a password.
When I tried to telnet via the lan, it reply: " /bin/login : exec format
error"
Please help!

Post by Walsh Brow » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I cannot enter a password at the console login prompt . I've never
seen this
> before. It ask for the name and gives no opportunity to enter a
password.
> When I tried to telnet via the lan, it reply: " /bin/login : exec
format
> error"
> Please help!

Sounds like you have some corruption on your AIX system; maybe even a
security breach.  Somebody might have tried to replace your login
program with one that reads passwords and saves them off somewhere and
got the permissions/acls wrong.  Contact your system admin.  If you are
the system admin then I'd take the machine off of the network and start
doing some serious investigating.  On my 4.3.0 system my /bin/login file
looks like:

which is a link to tsm which looks like:

-r-sr-xr-x   3 root     security   59282 Aug 20 1998  /usr/sbin/tsm

If this is not even close to what you have, then you probably have been
victimized...  If you are running a different level of the OS, try and
find another machine and compare the permissions.

For more info on AIX systems security consult the Security chapter
of your AIX Version 4.3 System User's Guide: Operating System and
Devices.  Or look at:

http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixbman/baseadmn/Ch3.
htm

-- Walsh

--
Walsh Brown

Sometimes I sit and think...sometimes I just sit.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Please help!! I don't get a passoword prompt

Post by Paul Landa » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've seen this happen after installing 'bos.rte.*' PTFs which require a
reboot, but not rebooting yet.  If you have installed PTFs recently and
not rebooted, try rebooting and see if that clears up the problem.