How to change the IP address of a live system

How to change the IP address of a live system

Post by Wim van Melze » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm an Oracle DBA and not familiar with advanced System Administration. For
my AIX database server I have to change the IP address. The server is not in
a NIS or DNS network. I hope I do not have to change a number of files like
/etc/hosts and stuff like that. I'll probably forget some files.Can anybody
tell me how to change the IP address of the AIX server. Please reply in this
group or send an e-mail to

Thanks a lot.

Wim

Post by James Carlso » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I'm an Oracle DBA and not familiar with advanced System Administration. For
> my AIX database server I have to change the IP address. The server is not in
> a NIS or DNS network. I hope I do not have to change a number of files like
> /etc/hosts and stuff like that. I'll probably forget some files.Can anybody
> tell me how to change the IP address of the AIX server. Please reply in this
> group or send an e-mail to

The easiest way is via smit.  Just do "smit tcpip" and go through the
"minimal configuration" menus.

If you'd prefer to do it from the command line, then "chdev -l en0 -a
netaddr=new.addr.here" should do the trick.  Then you'll need to
modify /etc/hosts as well.

You can also do it the old way via ifconfig, if you like, though that
way isn't 'sticky' unless you know your way around rc scripts.

Note, of course, that there's no such thing as an IP address for the
system itself.  Each interface has an IP address.  That's what you're
setting here.

Note also that after renumbering, your /etc/hosts file may be
inaccurate for other hosts, unless perhaps you're renumbering from one
subnet to another within a single organization.

If you're not using at least rdist to distribute /etc/hosts or using
DNS, you probably should find someone to set these up for you.  They
make life a good bit simpler.  (I'm not a fan of NIS, though others
are.  It's less kludgy than rdist but much, much more draconian.)

--

IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue   71.246W   Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA           42.423N   Fax:  +1 781 372 8090

Post by Christian Dueholm Christens » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I'm an Oracle DBA and not familiar with advanced System Administration. For
>my AIX database server I have to change the IP address. The server is not in
>a NIS or DNS network. I hope I do not have to change a number of files like
>/etc/hosts and stuff like that. I'll probably forget some files.Can anybody
>tell me how to change the IP address of the AIX server. Please reply in this
>group or send an e-mail to

>Thanks a lot.

It's not that * an AIX box.
Login as (or su to) root, type 'smit tcpip' and the rest should be
a walk in the park :)

Don't forget, that if you are logging in via telnet or some other form of
network connection, you will loose your connection to the machine when
you activate the change.

--
Christian D. Christensen - Systems Engineer & Sun hardware hacker

If you are experiencing problems please "telnet bofh.engr.wisc.edu 666"

How to change the IP address of a live system

Post by Carlos da Cunha e Silv » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Another detail you have to keep in mind is that Oracle also uses the
ip-address for the listener, unless you specified your hostname in the
listener.ora file. Normally that file should be located under /etc or
$TNS_ADMIN directory.