Default color depth

Post by Nitin Gupt » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

How can I increase the default color depth under which CDE runs? Currently,
the default on my system is 8-bit, I want to increase this to 16-bit or
more. I am running 4.3.1 on an IBM F30.

-Nitin

Post by Dave Marquard » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> How can I increase the default color depth under which CDE runs? Currently,
> the default on my system is 8-bit, I want to increase this to 16-bit or
> more. I am running 4.3.1 on an IBM F30.

Hmmm.  First, are you sure your display supports more than 8-bit
color?  If so, the X server itself has an option `-d' that is used to
specify the color depth.  So you somehow need to get the X server to
start with `-d 16'.  I'm not sure where CDE starts the X server.

I did a little research in the CDE 1.0 books.  You need to copy
/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers, then modify the
line there that controls your local server.  Here's what it looks like
on my recently installed 4.3.2 system:

I suggest changing it to

However, you might want to take CDE down and test this by just running

        X -d 16

to see if it works before modifying Xservers.

-Dave

Post by Marvin W. Goodma » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> How can I increase the default color depth under which CDE runs? Currently,
> the default on my system is 8-bit, I want to increase this to 16-bit or
> more. I am running 4.3.1 on an IBM F30.

#lsdev -C |grep Graphics

post the result here.

--
#----------------------#
# Marvin Goodman

#----------------------#

1. Default Color Depth

How can I change the default color depth to 16bpp?  I need to have
XFree86 start in at least that when I start it, and was wanting to
start  it on bootup.  So, I guess what I want is, how can I get it to
start in 16bpp from bootup?

Matthew

2. Question about SO_LINGER with setsockopt()

3. How to setup default color depth in X?

4. Linux client and Win98 server

5. Changing default color depth.

6. HELP: Send me your "normal" Dos-like MBR?

7. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

8. GCC 2.7.2.3 randomness...

9. default color depth on Sol2.6/SPARC?

10. Changing the default color depth...

11. kde & kdm default color depth

12. Changing Default Color Depth w/ RH 6.0

13. default color depth