Etherchannel and HACMP ES

Post by Matt » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 00:30:12

Can someone please tell me if HACMP ES supports Etherchannel in the
netifbackup mode? And if it does, any implementation tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Etherchannel and HACMP ES

Post by Jo » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 00:16:56

> Can someone please tell me if HACMP ES supports Etherchannel in the
> netifbackup mode? And if it does, any implementation tips would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thank you,
> Matt

Trying to get any kind of useful information on using Etherchannel is
particularly tricky!!

However, I cant think why you'd want to use both etherchannel for the
adapter resilience and HACMP since they are both trying to provide
resilience in case of adapter failure.

For example, with the etherchannel / netif backup setup you'd have,
say, ent0 and ent1 running as ent2.  ent1 has the alternate address as
the MAC address of ent0.  Within HA you'd have ent2 defined as the
service / boot adapter so you'd need additional adapter(s) for the
standby adapter (poss another etherchannel?).  I can imagine that this
might work in an IPAT scenario but would need serious testing!  If
HWAT is also implemented (usually a good idea for ARP considerations)
then this is going to get problematic.  ent2 uses the MAC address of
ent0 to which ent1 is also mapped as an alt. address.  If you
implement a Locally Administered Address for HWAT, to which device is
this made?

I would suggest that the resilience provided by HA (swap_adapter etc)
for IPAT and HWAT should provide the service availability needed. If
both the boot / service adapter and the standby adapter are
etherchannels you're using 4 NICs to provide resilience for 1.
Overkill??

Etherchannel and HACMP ES

Post by Matt » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:15:49

I want to use etherchannel to gain greater bandwith. ex. Using two gigbit
nic's in netifbackup mode allows me to have a single virtual nic operating
at a 2Gb speeds. Doing this will allow my application servers to talk with
my database servers much faster.

Matt

Quote:> > Can someone please tell me if HACMP ES supports Etherchannel in the
> > netifbackup mode? And if it does, any implementation tips would be
greatly
> > appreciated.

> > Thank you,
> > Matt

> Trying to get any kind of useful information on using Etherchannel is
> particularly tricky!!

> However, I cant think why you'd want to use both etherchannel for the
> adapter resilience and HACMP since they are both trying to provide
> resilience in case of adapter failure.

> For example, with the etherchannel / netif backup setup you'd have,
> say, ent0 and ent1 running as ent2.  ent1 has the alternate address as
> the MAC address of ent0.  Within HA you'd have ent2 defined as the
> service / boot adapter so you'd need additional adapter(s) for the
> standby adapter (poss another etherchannel?).  I can imagine that this
> might work in an IPAT scenario but would need serious testing!  If
> HWAT is also implemented (usually a good idea for ARP considerations)
> then this is going to get problematic.  ent2 uses the MAC address of
> ent0 to which ent1 is also mapped as an alt. address.  If you
> implement a Locally Administered Address for HWAT, to which device is
> this made?

> I would suggest that the resilience provided by HA (swap_adapter etc)
> for IPAT and HWAT should provide the service availability needed. If
> both the boot / service adapter and the standby adapter are
> etherchannels you're using 4 NICs to provide resilience for 1.
> Overkill??

Etherchannel and HACMP ES

Post by Simon Marches » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 01:03:22

>Can someone please tell me if HACMP ES supports Etherchannel in the
>netifbackup mode? And if it does, any implementation tips would be greatly
>appreciated.

No, it does not.

1. Weird behaviour after upgrading from HACMP/ES 4.4.0 to HACMP/ES 4.4.1

All,

I recently upgraded a 2 nodes cluster (cascading) from HACMP/ES 4.4.0
to HACMP/ES 4.4.1, and the cluster behaves weirdly! After upgrading
the primary node, and after a reboot (as per documentation), I restart
cluster manager. The node is joigning the cluster, then the resource
group travel gently from the backup node to the fresh upgraded primary
node. Everything is fine, filesystems are mounted, application server
is started, then when you think you are done, a swap adapter event
occurred on the node, and the standby adapter becomes the service
adapter. After all the software and hardware checking, I couldn't find
any trouble on the adapter...

Did you notice such behaviour?

Thierry

2. Password shadowing

3. Difference between HACMP and HACMP/ES

4. Toshiba 2130CS/ct65545. Do I have a programmable clock chip?

5. Where to get or buy ES-255 and ES-220 or exchanging with ES-310 ?

6. color depth

7. More HACMP and ETHERCHANNEL

8. Where did Netscape go? - a newbie

9. HACMP/es + nfs + ops

10. HACMP/ES 4.4.1 NFS problem

11. HACMP/ES support for Gigabit adapters

12. HACMP/ES 4.4 clinfoES problem

13. HACMP/ES or HAGEO