AIX 4.0 / 4.05 for ISA INTEL machines...

AIX 4.0 / 4.05 for ISA INTEL machines...

Post by Daniel Bak » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Howdy all.

The place I work has extremly outdated PS/2 machines involved in
workflow, and would like to install the AIX software onto faster newer
PII's. Is there any way to install AIX to the new machines or move the
AIX binaries to another *nix and install the applications in question?

Would love to hear your responses.

Dan.

AIX 4.0 / 4.05 for ISA INTEL machines...

Post by Snogfest Hosebeas » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Howdy all.

> The place I work has extremly outdated PS/2 machines involved in
> workflow, and would like to install the AIX software onto faster newer
> PII's. Is there any way to install AIX to the new machines or move the
> AIX binaries to another *nix and install the applications in question?

> Would love to hear your responses.

> Dan.

um.
No.

--
Just because something _sounds_ like a good idea
doesn't mean it _is_ a good idea.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

AIX 4.0 / 4.05 for ISA INTEL machines...

Post by Daniel Bak » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 13:23:31 GMT, Snogfest Hosebeast

>> Howdy all.

>> The place I work has extremly outdated PS/2 machines involved in
>> workflow, and would like to install the AIX software onto faster newer
>> PII's. Is there any way to install AIX to the new machines or move the
>> AIX binaries to another *nix and install the applications in question?

>> Would love to hear your responses.

>> Dan.

>um.
>No.

Uhm,

Why?

Is this a "technical No" or a "Monetary No" ie. is this a no because
there is no technical way it can be done/hacked or no because someone
or some corporate entity might lose a sale or two on
proprietary/expensive technology?

If it's technical, please tell me why. if it's not, please tell me I
have to buy hardware that will be complete trash in 5 yrs...
.

Sorry if I seem a little cross, bad day.

Dan.

Quote:>--
>Just because something _sounds_ like a good idea
>doesn't mean it _is_ a good idea.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

AIX 4.0 / 4.05 for ISA INTEL machines...

Post by Alberto Varesi » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
no good news from me too, sorry.

Little guesses due to little knowledge ( my fault ) and lack of specs ( your
fault ;-) )

Tech No!
Software running on PS/2 AIX ( version 2 ?? ) was for Intel HW, but nowadays AIX
is *not* running on Intel PII, PIII, ..., so you cannot migrate that SW.
You cannot hope AIX 5L will run it either, even if it will run on Itanium !!
No way to move binaries to any other platform !! Binaries are too tightly bound
to OS and Processor !!
No way out - really sorry.

Any HW is trash if it doesn't fit your needs, even after 6 months, but I have
proprietary HW 10 years old doing its job. Slow but running.

--
 Alberto Varesio - Certified AIX V4.3 System Support  Phone: +39-011-415-8111
 EDIST Spa - Via Goito 51/A      Riding the world       Fax: +39-0270040-8636

1. Keystrokes are one behind - Pine 4.05 on RedHatLinux 5.0 on an Alpha Machine

I'm having problems on a redhat 5.0 machine where the keystrokes are a
stroke behind.  If I hit "i" it doesn't echo anythign back till I hit
the down arrow, and so on.  Everything is one character behind, and it
doesn't echo anything back to my terminal either.

As soon as I get out of Pine, the system acts properly again.

I've made sure that I've got the latest GCC and LIBC packages installed,
and the latest curses, etc..  (And kernel sources)

I wanted to run version 4 of pine, instead of the 3.96 that RedHat is
packaging.  So I built it..  There are lots of warnings about casting
integers to the wrong size pointers during the build. I don't know if
this is part of my problem or not.

I'm running this on a DEC Alpha.

Has anyone run into this problem?

2. Copying Cu* files to disk

3. AIX 4.x + Netscape 4.05/3.x + java failure

4. How to make browsing the web tolerable again?

5. HELP - Undetected Intel EtherExpress PRO/10 (ISA) on PCI machine

6. Which Shell to Begin with???

7. Want to Installing Aix 4.2.1 on an Compaq presario 4505 Intel machine

8. Booting OpenBSD from MS-DOS

9. using Samba to network linux machine to NT 4.0 machine

10. Some nice Netscape 4.05 X resources?

11. HELP: Netscape 4.05-6 Bus Error (please read!)

12. Netscape 4.05 Fastttrack Administration

13. Communicator 4.05 and linux 2.1.xx?