System hang with LED "185" on 43P-240

Post by Alpha Le » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have a 43P Model 240 dual CPU Workstation running AIX 4.3.2. with CDE.  It
frequently hangs up with a "185" at the LED code.  It happens sometimes when
I was editting a file in the "vi".  I have tried to locate the problem by
running the diagnostic for all resources (i.e. diag), but the result is "no
trouble is found".  Also, sometimes the system cannot be booted successfully
and hangs with "185" even before the CDE login box come out.  Does anyone
know whether this problem comes from hardware or software?

System hang with LED "185" on 43P-240

Post by Kevin R. Ge » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Usually, LED 185 is a MACHINECHECK-type problem, indicating some sort
of hardware problem (especially if you boot the machine and get this
problem before the machine attempts to start the operating system --
LED 299 appears at this point).

You might want to check your error log and/or call your IBM Hardware
Support rep.

Kevin

Quote:> I have a 43P Model 240 dual CPU Workstation running AIX 4.3.2. with

--
Kevin R. Gee
MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Evil "185" Error on my 43p-240

I'm getting an Evil 185 error on my 43p-240.

After looking through the IBM Service documentation for the Model 240,
I've determined that the 185 is probably one of the most evil errors on
can get since the manual doesn't have a direct cause for it. (not like,
"bad RAM" or failed floppy) It's the "start changing out stuff in your
system until it goes away" error.

So I thought I would ask if anyone here has ever experienced such an
error and if they'd share with me what they found was causing it.

Here's my system config:
43p-240 233MHz (with both CPU's installed)
256MB Memory (64x4 IBM legit DIMMs)
IBM 4.somethingGB SCSI internal HDisk
IBM #2408 (FRU93H8406) PCI SingleEnded SCSI-FW
IBM GXT-255
IBM PCI 10/100 Ethernet

Externally, I have connected a bunch of drives and a Cybernetics
(Exabyte 10H) library. But I get the error with all that stuff
disconnected from the system anyway.

HELP!!!

  -Ben

2. Booting Linux from the NT 4 boot manager

3. restoring mksysb created on 43P-140 to 43P-240 (up to mp)

4. Proxying, Firewalling

5. Getting Linux for IBM PPC: RISC System/6000 43p-240

6. HELP for SENDMAIL

8. Free non-Microsoft Windows!

9. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang

10. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang...

12. 43p-240 Memory

13. Type of memory for 43P-240?