A good price for a copy of AIX?

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by MEC » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Hi,

Is it true IBM sells AIX for 50.00 ( for personal use )?

Is there a emulator available for AIX that lets you run LINUX apps akin to
what's available on Solaris?

MEC

 
 
 

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by Joshua S. Bass » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> Is there a emulator available for AIX that lets you run LINUX apps akin to

Not as of today, but IBM is working on porting Lxrun to
AIX and from what I understand should have something
going in Q3.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Senior Technical Consultant
IBM Certified Specialist - AIX Support
Tivoli Certified Consultant - TSM 3.7
Symatrix Technology, Inc.
jbassi at gloryworks dot com


Quote:> Hi,

> Is it true IBM sells AIX for 50.00 ( for personal use )?

> Is there a emulator available for AIX that lets you run LINUX apps akin to
> what's available on Solaris?

> MEC


 
 
 

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by Urban A. Haa » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I believe the $50 is the media charge. It pays for the CD-ROMs and the printed
pubs that come with it. The OS, itself would be free.



> > Hi,

> > Is it true IBM sells AIX for 50.00 ( for personal use )?

> > Is there a emulator available for AIX that lets you run LINUX apps akin to
> > what's available on Solaris?

> > MEC

> I got my copy of AIX 4.3  for $50  bucks...
> for one- and two- user licenses   per machine ..

> Good enough for home ....

> CHF

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN  USA
Phone: (952) 595-8810    Fax: (952) 595-8710

Web: http://www.urbantechnology.com

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.

 
 
 

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by Matthew Land » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> I believe the $50 is the media charge. It pays for the CD-ROMs and the printed
> pubs that come with it. The OS, itself would be free.

... With the purchase of a new system.

I have not heard of a standalone copy of AIX being free.  If you know
where this is stated, please let me know.  I am looking for a cheap
copy myself.  :)

 - Matt

 
 
 

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by NoneSu » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I haven't actually tried it, but it appears that you can buy a copy
right off their web page...  $50.

None



>> I believe the $50 is the media charge. It pays for the CD-ROMs and the printed
>> pubs that come with it. The OS, itself would be free.

>... With the purchase of a new system.

>I have not heard of a standalone copy of AIX being free.  If you know
>where this is stated, please let me know.  I am looking for a cheap
>copy myself.  :)

> - Matt

 
 
 

A good price for a copy of AIX?

Post by ksimp.. » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00


This appears to only be true if you already own a "license". I bought
a used 7248-133 from a reseller which did not come with an AIX license.
I called IBM Direct to inquire about purchasing 4.3 media. I supplied
the serial number of my machine and was quoted a price of between $900
and $950. When I informed the rep that price was nuts for a single
user on an old machine, the response was "it's an unlimited user
license". Yeah well bfd, it's still nuts. I guess IBM would prefer that
those in the market for an old workstation for home use purchase Sun
equipment instead.

Ken



> I haven't actually tried it, but it appears that you can buy a copy
> right off their web page...  $50.

> None



> >> I believe the $50 is the media charge. It pays for the CD-ROMs and
the printed
> >> pubs that come with it. The OS, itself would be free.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. SAMBA for AIX - and - Copy large files to AIX from Window

Hi,

I am quite limited in experience with this type of environment, so please
bare with me.

We have recently got an AIX box mainly for the purposes of having
replications of our clients databases.  This AIX box does not get used for
much other than ORACLE database server.

We often get very large files from our clients which are database dumps in a
.gz file.  These files can sometimes be up to 4GB (sometimes more).  We have
recently received a CD (DVD actually) that has a 2.2GB .gz file on it, and
we are having trouble getting this file on to our AIX box.  FTP seems to be
restricted to a file size.  (The AIX box does not have a DVD CD drive.

We are thinking that if we set up SaMBa on the AIX box, we will be able to
simply drag the file over to AIX.

Whether or not this is the best way of going about this particular issue
could be irrelevant, as we have decided that we would like to have the
ability to have a mapped drive on our Windows 2000 machines to the AIX
machine anyway.

So, for my questions (2 of them)...

1.  What would be the best way to copy this 2.2GB file over to the AIX
machine from a DVD CD.
2.  Where would I find installation instructions for installing SaMBa on
AIX.

Thanks

2. xdm

3. SAMBA for AIX - and - Copy large files to AIX from Windows

4. Help: ACMS / ACM and No Sound errors.. Whats the secret to getting this to work?

5. CD-R's at Good Price

6. RAMDISK Questions

7. CD R Media Blowout at Good Prices

8. CDROM drive install

9. found a alpha board/cpu --good price?

10. WWW PAGES AND ADVERTISING GOOD PRICE!!