Tomcat and AIX SDK 1.4

Post by Quik » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:40:49

Hi,

I'm developping Web Applications in Java. I'm using Tomcat as a Web
Server. Everythings goes well under Linux and Windows. I have a B50
with AIX 5L and the latest Maintenance Package installed. I've also
installed AIX SDK 14. I've then installed Tomcat (4.1.24) from Jakarta
Project.

My problem is when I start using my Web App (which act like a server
for remote clients), the paging file size start to increase. Not
immediately, but after 3/4 hours, my paging file increases by 10 MB
every 30 minutes. I have 256Mb of RAM and I did configure two paging
files (their size is huge for testing purpose : 2.5 GB by file) In
fact, the clients who are contacting the server are producing an heavy
traffic on the server (for testing purpose). Even if I stop this
traffic, the paging file size does'nt decrease.
I've used 'svmon -P' to see which process is exactily causing these
troubles. Of course, I mentionned that it is Tomcat itself (the java
process which handles Tomcat). And when Tomcat increases, so did the
paging file. I read a lot about memory in IBM's website for AIX and,
as far as I know, system's algorithms should normally clean up paging
space after usage. If not, it should be because the program is not
releasing the memory (in our case, it's the JVM). So I ask me the
question if there are already had problems regarding AIX SDK14 and the
memory usage. If not, does someone have an issue to solve my problem ?

Thanks in advance,
quiks.

1. IBM alphaWorks releases AIX SDK 1.4

fyi - from alphaWorks

AIX SDK 1.4
AIX SDK 1.4 (the full name is IBM 32-Bit SDK for AIX, JavaTM 2
Technology Edition, Version 1.4 Developers Preview), is a beta version
of IBM's AIX port of Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, Version 1.4.0.
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/aixsdk?open&l=009,t=gr

2. Help needed on networking....

3. German USB Keymap

4. Java 1.4 SDK AIX 4.3.3

5. KDE and GNOME. Which sucks less?

6. IBM alphaWorks releases AIX SDK 1.4

7. Single sign-on

8. C for AIX v3.1.4 and AIX v4.3.2

9. AIX 4.1.4/NCSA 1.4 access_log anomaly

10. Problems invoking NCSA httpd 1.4 in scripts/inittab (AIX 3.2.5)

11. AIX-4.1.4 maxlogins problem !!!

12. NIS and AIX-4.1.4