wtmp and utmp

Post by Water » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm having trouble with users occasionally being unable to login due to a
pts being locked on a AIX 4.2 box. The problem persists until I reboot the
server and seems to occur on random psuedo-terminal numbers.

I've done some searching and have found a couple files that list pts and
users. They are /etc/utmp and /var/adm/wtmp. They seem to be updated every
time a user logs in. Do these files control locking of the pts ports? Is
there a way of clearing the affected pts' without affecting other connected
users?

Thanks,
-Gary

wtmp and utmp

Post by Nicholas Drone » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I'm having trouble with users occasionally being unable to login due to a
> pts being locked on a AIX 4.2 box. The problem persists until I reboot the
> server and seems to occur on random psuedo-terminal numbers.
> I've done some searching and have found a couple files that list pts and
> users. They are /etc/utmp and /var/adm/wtmp. They seem to be updated every
> time a user logs in. Do these files control locking of the pts ports? Is
> there a way of clearing the affected pts' without affecting other connected
> users?

What error does the user get when they try to login?  How
are they connecting?

Regards,

Nick Dronen

wtmp and utmp

Post by Water » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

If I remember correctly the error was "ptsxx already in use buy user xxxx".
It seems to be assigning the pts' by number, so when a user logs in and is
due to be assigned the bad pts number, he will receive this message until
another user logs off and frees up a number lower than the pts.

Hope it helps, I'll be sure to write the message down verbatim next time.

Thanks,
-Gary

> > Hello,

> > I'm having trouble with users occasionally being unable to login due to
> > pts being locked on a AIX 4.2 box. The problem persists until I reboot
the
> > server and seems to occur on random psuedo-terminal numbers.

> > I've done some searching and have found a couple files that list pts and
> > users. They are /etc/utmp and /var/adm/wtmp. They seem to be updated
every
> > time a user logs in. Do these files control locking of the pts ports? Is
> > there a way of clearing the affected pts' without affecting other
connected
> > users?

> What error does the user get when they try to login?  How
> are they connecting?

> Regards,

> Nick Dronen

1. location of utmp wtmp in utmp.h

When building sysVinit using libc4.4 I found that 'last' was looking
for /etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp.  I found that it was getting these
locations from /usr/include/utmp.h.  Why this strange inconsitency?

Is this a mistake?  Should utmp.h be changed to put both in /etc?

2. Shadow password file

3. utmp and wtmp corruption...

4. How can I read a disk with a Sun program

5. How to remove utmp/wtmp entries?

6. : Is this firewall rule OK?

7. utmp and wtmp re-init

8. Y2K bug - Feb 29 2000 broken under Linux

9. Redhat 5.0 wtmp and utmp problems...

10. is it safe to simply truncate wtmp/utmp ??

11. Are wtmp and utmp Binaries?

12. utmp/wtmp in lx99pl8

13. utmp/wtmp in kvt/KDE