Corrupt passwd files?

Post by Richard Perlma » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

We are unable to change passwords on an RS6000.  I've been told that the
password files are "corrupt".  I've attempted to fix this by copying the
files /etc/passwd, /etc/group , /etc/security/passwd and
/etc/security/group from a "good" machine, but this has not helped.
I've also been told that it will be necessary to do a complete
re-install to fix this.

Is there an easier solution?

Corrupt passwd files?

Post by Andy Woodcoc » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> We are unable to change passwords on an RS6000.  I've been told that the
> password files are "corrupt".  I've attempted to fix this by copying the
> files /etc/passwd, /etc/group , /etc/security/passwd and
> /etc/security/group from a "good" machine, but this has not helped.
> I've also been told that it will be necessary to do a complete
> re-install to fix this.

> Is there an easier solution?

Hi Richard,
To be honest I would have expected this to have worked. I'm sure I've done
this many times. Are the ownerships and permissions on these files
correct? There are also some files in security called opasswd and ogroup
which may be worth copying. Also I've just noticed another file two files
on aix433 called user and ouser which may be relevant. The only other that
springs to mind is that you aren't running NIS are you? Reinstalling
sounds a bit drastic.
Best Regards,
Andy

Corrupt passwd files?

Post by brya » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

check out the pwdck command