X-Windows and subnet

Post by Sylvai » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I changed the IP of our AIX server today. Now it is on a separate subnet
from our internal lan.

Once this is done, everything is fine (http, ping, ftp) except for
X-Windows.
We have SCO X-Vision to connect from our client PCs and the behavior is
strange. I can log (user/passwd) but just when starting the CDE, it hangs.
Like if there was no response from the server.

I had a look on the firewall/router, no IP packets are filtered between
these two subnets. As every filtered packet is logged, I would have noticed
it ...

Any idea ?

X-Windows and subnet

Post by James Carlso » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:52:11

> We have SCO X-Vision to connect from our client PCs and the behavior is
> strange. I can log (user/passwd) but just when starting the CDE, it hangs.
> Like if there was no response from the server.

Yeah, CDE is like that.  Switching to XDM helps.

The problem is likely that the system can't resolve its IP address
from its node name (as seen by "uname -n").  Check the name servers.

--

"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. consolidate crc16 calculations (common part)

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. swap

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. gcc error

7. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

8. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

9. Good, free X-Windows client for Windows 98?

10. : Install free X-Windows server on Windows NT Workstation 4.0

11. Why doesn't X-Windows look as good as MS Windows?

12. X-Windows probem with fonts and windows

13. Why doesn't X-Windows update windows more often?