Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Someon » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:48:19

Hi there,

I would like to know if there is a command line tool which let's you
simply add a new user or group with one single command like Solaris's
useradd and groupadd ???

Regards

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Gerhard A. Bartosc » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:18:24

What about mkuser ad mkgroup?

--
Kind regards

Gerhard A. Bartosch

iT Austria
Vienna

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I would like to know if there is a command line tool which let's you
> simply add a new user or group with one single command like Solaris's
> useradd and groupadd ???

> Regards

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Gerhard A. Bartosc » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:19:34

What about mkuser and mkgroup?

--
Kind regards

Gerhard A. Bartosch

iT Austria
Vienna

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I would like to know if there is a command line tool which let's you
> simply add a new user or group with one single command like Solaris's
> useradd and groupadd ???

> Regards

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Someon » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:29:56

Wow that's a cool thing... Like good old dos mkdir :))

Unfortunately I don't have man pages installed on my AIX, where can I
find information on how to use mkuser/mkgroup ??

Regards

> What about mkuser and mkgroup?

> --
> Kind regards

> Gerhard A. Bartosch

> iT Austria
> Vienna

> This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
> No guarantees whatsoever.

>>Hi there,

>>I would like to know if there is a command line tool which let's you
>>simply add a new user or group with one single command like Solaris's
>>useradd and groupadd ???

>>Regards

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Gerhard A. Bartosc » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:37:23

You could add the user/group with smit. And afterwards you look into
smit.log to have your command(s) with the necessary options.
Else you could look at following links:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds3/....
htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds3/...
.htm
--
Kind regards

Gerhard A. Bartosch

iT Austria
Vienna

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

> Wow that's a cool thing... Like good old dos mkdir :))

> Unfortunately I don't have man pages installed on my AIX, where can I
> find information on how to use mkuser/mkgroup ??

> Regards

> > What about mkuser and mkgroup?

> > --
> > Kind regards

> > Gerhard A. Bartosch

> > iT Austria
> > Vienna

> > This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
> > No guarantees whatsoever.

> >>Hi there,

> >>I would like to know if there is a command line tool which let's you
> >>simply add a new user or group with one single command like Solaris's
> >>useradd and groupadd ???

> >>Regards

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by AIX Consulta » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:16:37

From the root prompt, you can use the mkuser command followed by the
username. The user settings will key off of the default stanza in
/etc/security/user

Adding users to /etc/passwd and groups

Post by Mike Marsha » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:09:52

Quote:>What about mkuser ad mkgroup?

# chuser groups=blob,bin hubcap
3004-715 You can only change the Group SET on the name server.

I'm kind of working on the same thing. I thought mkuser and chuser
would do the same as useradd and usermod. But I sure didn't
expect the above error message. I don't know what it means,
and I can't find anything about it with web searches.  Anyone
got any ideas?

The man page to chuser sez see also:

Security Administration in AIX Version 4.3 System Management Guide: Operating
System and Devices.

Setting up and running Web-based System Management in AIX Version 4.3 System
Management Guide: Operating System and Devices.

Administrative Roles Overview in AIX Version 4.3 System Management Guide:
Operating System and Devices .

But I'm kind of lost when I get to www.ibm.com, but I thought I'd be
able to find the above docs there.

-Mike

1. necessary groups in /etc/group, and necessary users in /usr/passwd

which groups are necessary in /etc/group ?
i want to blow away all ones that don't have to be there.
the only ones i use and can see on the filesystems and who own processes
are:

root   - the root of all evil
daemon  - system daemon processes
nobody  - apache, for example
ftp  - used in the /incoming directory, although i think nobody ought to
replace it

and some specific ones, i.e. postgres, and individual human user
accounts
the useless ones, in my uninformed opinion, are:

bin, sys, adm, tty, disk, mem, kmem, wheel, mail, news, man, cron,
console, nogroup

but i don't want to blow away the groups that are required by the kernel
and the base system to run!! (of course, right?) this discussion easily
lends itself to a parallel in /usr/passwd, so which ones there can i
safely nuke? i'm using stampede linux, if it matters!

ty
sys. adm.

ty AT arrowsmith DOT net

2. STB Velocity 100

3. CDE vs. /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group

4. Need some help .....

5. Adding users with /etc/passwd

6. reading NTFS disks

7. Adding user through adduser or through /etc/passwd?

8. Setting System Time

9. Writing a program to add a new user to /etc/passwd in sunos 4.1.3

10. /etc/passwd & /etc/group behaviour with 'rsh'

11. How to populate /etc/group from /etc/passwd

12. manipulating /etc/passwd + /etc/group

13. Sync. /etc/passwd and /etc/group