mounting a fs on a 6000 server to a 6000 wrkst !!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! !

mounting a fs on a 6000 server to a 6000 wrkst !!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! !

Post by j_balza.. » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

How do you mount a jfs file system onto a machine that also has jfs file
systems?  do I need special permissions for this since I am working on a
wrkstn and grabbing a fs from aserver?

I have been trying this...

mount -nX -v jfs -o rw / /mnt1

whereas "X" is the name of the node being mounted from (not too),
reading a jfs file system, the options are to both read/write, and the first
" / " represents the root dir. on the node kreher....to be replicated as
/mnt1 on the RS/6000 wrkstn.

It follows the man pages perfectly so it seems, but always fails.  I'm
hurtin here and have been for some time.  I have tried a few different
variations with this command with all sorts of different flags but the
outcome is the same.

Can you spare the knowledge?

Thanks
-j

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kurt Bremse » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 14:40:47

> How do you mount a jfs file system onto a machine that also has jfs
file
> systems?  do I need special permissions for this since I am working on
> wrkstn and grabbing a fs from aserver?

> I have been trying this...

> mount -nX -v jfs -o rw / /mnt1

> whereas "X" is the name of the node being mounted from (not too),
> reading a jfs file system, the options are to both read/write, and the
first
> " / " represents the root dir. on the node kreher....to be replicated
as
> /mnt1 on the RS/6000 wrkstn.

> It follows the man pages perfectly so it seems, but always fails.  I'm
> hurtin here and have been for some time.  I have tried a few different
> variations with this command with all sorts of different flags but the
> outcome is the same.

> Can you spare the knowledge?

> Thanks
> -j

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you mount from a different system, the only way to do this is NFS, so
you have to specify file system type nfs; the server has to explicitly
export the directory in question, somehow granting your WS access to the
exported resource;

Use smit nfs on the server to export the directory and on your WS to
mount it, this will automatically give the right options to the commands

If everything else is already in place, you can try:

mount -v nfs -n X / /mnt1

(exporting the root is very bad advice, though!)

--
K.B.

"Es ist alles sehr kompliziert!" ("It is all very complicated!")
Fred Sinowatz, former Austrian Chancellor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. FS: IBM RS/6000 Risc System/6000 SERVER POWERSTATION currently at $49.00

Please go to our webpage to see this and other great items that we have up for
auction on E-Bay.  Direct sales of items are also available.

http://WWW.JLAENTERPRISES.COM

Be sure to bookmark the page and check back weekly for many new items across
the board that will be added.  DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU NEED TODAY?  CALL
US AT (919) 844-0960 FOR DIRECT SALES.  We ship worldwide.

Thank You
JLA ENTERPRISES

WE BUY ANYTHING. CORPORATE ASSET RECOVERY/LIQUIDATION (AKA INVESTMENT
RECOVERY). SURPLUS, EXCESS INVENTORY, OVERSTOCK, OBSOLETE AND USED ITEMS. IF
YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL GIVE US A CALL!!! SINGLE PIECE OR MULTIPLE
TRUCKLOADS. WE WILL PICK UP FROM ANYWHERE IN THE US (BY TRUCKLOAD ONLY).
CORPORATIONS OR INDIVIDUALS. CASH PAID FOR ALL ITEMS WITH NO HASSLE!!! (919)

If the web address above does not work, an alternate site is:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jla_enterprises

2. Mapping TCP Connection and Process ID

3. NFS mount of RS/6000 fs fails

4. string -> time_t routine, anyone?

5. redirecting localhost:6000 -> other:6000

6. New version MYSQL for Windows 3.23.51 release

7. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

8. localtime_r() SEGV

9. What is the significance of 6000 in RS/6000?

10. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

11. FS: IBM RS/6000 Server/Workstation Powerstation 320H now at $15.51

12. FS: IBM RS/6000 B50 Servers (Germany)

13. FS : RS/6000 43P 140 entry server