Work in the Netherlands, Switzerland or UK?

Work in the Netherlands, Switzerland or UK?

Post by Jose Pere » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:30:08

Hi Nicholas!
Spain is a very good and beautiful country.Quality of life is very
good.People is very open and they loves life and enjoying. At this moment
there are a lot of jobs about aix systems, but it is very probably that you
can win less money that in another country.
Main citys in which you can search jobs are Madrid and Barcelona.
Sorry but my english is very poor(i'm spanish).

Good luck.

Quote:> Hi:

Post by Clive Sparke » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:36:40

> Hi:

> Does anyone know of good places to work in either the Netherlands,
> Switzerland or the UK?  I and my girlfriend are considering working
> in Europe for a while.  We both speak English.  She speaks French.
> I speak some Spanish (but I don't imagine there are a lot of AIX
> or UNIX jobs in Spain -- just a hunch) and she's learning Spanish.

> I'm a so-called AIX Advanced Techical Expert with 4 years of admin
> and development experience with various UNIX systems (AIX, Solaris
> and Linux).  She has a Master's in Computer Science from a good
> university in the US and has been doing development work for
> companies like DEC and Sybase since she graduated almost 10 years
> ago.  We'd like to work in the same city and we already work for
> the same company in the US, so it'd be nice to do the same in
> Europe.

> I'd like to hear about peoples' experience contracting or otherwise
> working in IT as an American expatriate, too, so I can know what
> to expect.

> Regards,

> Nicholas Dronen

> --
> $ more worth doing
> /dev/null (END)

Most of the major AIX installations in the Netherlands seem to be based
around Den Haag, Utrecht or Eindhoven, of which Den Haag is probably the
nicest place to live.

The work visas and suchlike paperwork for non-EU citizens can be a pain
(being English I don't have that problem), on the other hand if you can
prove that you have "needed skills" (so there is a use for certification
after all), then there are tax breaks.

Don't know about the market in the UK at the moment, but you might want
to add Eire to your list of countries to consider.

--
Regards,
Clive

Work in the Netherlands, Switzerland or UK?

Post by Lord Dat » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:56:38

says...

Quote:> Hi:

> Does anyone know of good places to work in either the Netherlands,
> Switzerland or the UK?  I and my girlfriend are considering working
> in Europe for a while.  We both speak English.  She speaks French.
> I speak some Spanish (but I don't imagine there are a lot of AIX
> or UNIX jobs in Spain -- just a hunch) and she's learning Spanish.

I'm a Spanish born in Geneva (Switzerland) who moved to the UK 2 years
ago.

In Switzerland, you won't really find many interesting jobs outside
Geneva or Zurich. Geneva is better to live in than Zurich I guess. There
is also a large "colony" of english-speaking people. Your biggest
problems will probably be getting a visa. You need a degree for a start
and an offer from a company.

In the UK, most of the best jobs seem to be concentrated in the Thames
Valley + London. The weather really sucks, but living close to London
has its advantages. I believe it's much easier to obtain a visa than in
Switzerland. Be aware that it is very very expensive (even worse than
Switzerland). A good place to look for jobs is www.jobserve.com. They
also have a few jobs around Europe.

Finally, you'll probably earn much less in Spain than in the other
countries, but the quality of life is much better (at least, that's my
opinion).

1. how do 'plug-ins' work?

I've got a little project I'm working on that could benifit from being able to
drop in third-party extensions as plug-ins.  I understand the plug-in theory,
more or less, but I'm fuzzy on the implementation details.  I was hoping someone
could help me out a bit.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), if I create a function
library and compile it as a static object then I have to compile the final app
along with that object.  If I make my library a shared object than I just have to
link against it at compile time and it's included at run-time (I've never made
any of my own so's - do you have to do anything different than what you'd do for
a static object?).

But what if I want to create a library that I can just drop into an app without
having to recompile against it (such as a netscape-style plug-in)?  Obviously
there has to be some agreed-upon api so the app knows what entry points exist in
the library and the library knows what functions the app exposes, but how does
the app actually 'load' the library while it's running?

I noticed some functions for loading dynamic modules in a glib reference and this
seems like it would be a place to start, but once I've loaded the module is there
anything special I have to do to call it's functions or do they just magically
become available?  This is the part where I'm getting lost...

If anyone can point me to a good online resource for this or drop me a basic
explanation, I'd be grateful.  I've looked over netscape's plug-in docs but that
mostly concentrates on the api side of things.  I spent some time digging through
the gimp source but gimp plug-ins appear to run as a separate process which isn't
really the behavior I'm after (I could probably still do what I want that way,
but I need to get a handle on this whole library thing anyway ;).

thanks in advance,

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|  Ethan VonderWeid                          IT Technical Operations  |

|  (650) 336-0534 (internal x60534)              This space for rent  |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

2. XFree 3.1.2 and ISA Mach64 still no good?

3. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

4. Help! How to find process name?

5. Does uemacs really work ins SysV.2?

6. mmap & shared read/write ?

7. Crazypenguin.co.uk ? UK linux vendor

8. Viewer/Player for Quicktime, MPEG, and Avi?

9. In article 81A@compsci.liverpool.ac.uk, m3apc@csc.liv.ac.uk (A.P. Crossan) writes:

10. ftp.jags.co.uk MOVED to dist.jags.co.uk (EM/INTERact)

11. Know any Yggdrasil resellers in Switzerland?

12. Linux User Group Switzerland

13. SCO representation in Switzerland