Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Post by Goto Hell Spamme » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
     I am trying to upgrade from AIX 42x to AIX 43x on a pizza box 220.  I am
booting off the CD in maintenance mode.  The install reads my boot cd and then
I get C31 on the display.  I have a Power GT1 graphics adapter and have a
feeling that it is not seeing my display adapter.  Anyone know if the 220 is
supported by IBM for AIX 43x?  I looked over their support site but found
nothing yet.  I suppose I could use the serial port for a console, but I would
rather use the graphics port if possible.  TIA,

Bryant

Post by Brian Hauber » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
>      I am trying to upgrade from AIX 42x to AIX 43x on a pizza box 220.  I am
> booting off the CD in maintenance mode.  The install reads my boot cd and then
> I get C31 on the display.  I have a Power GT1 graphics adapter and have a
> feeling that it is not seeing my display adapter.  Anyone know if the 220 is
> supported by IBM for AIX 43x?  I looked over their support site but found
> nothing yet.  I suppose I could use the serial port for a console, but I would
> rather use the graphics port if possible.  TIA,

IBM dropped support for the video adapters in the 220. Your only bet is
to use a serial console.

Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Post by Goto Hell Spamme » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Do you know whether the GT3 graphics adapter is supported with 43x?  Thanks,

Bryant

>> Hi,
>>      I am trying to upgrade from AIX 42x to AIX 43x on a pizza box 220.  I am
>> booting off the CD in maintenance mode.  The install reads my boot cd and
> then
>> I get C31 on the display.  I have a Power GT1 graphics adapter and have a
>> feeling that it is not seeing my display adapter.  Anyone know if the 220 is
>> supported by IBM for AIX 43x?  I looked over their support site but found
>> nothing yet.  I suppose I could use the serial port for a console, but I
> would
>> rather use the graphics port if possible.  TIA,

>IBM dropped support for the video adapters in the 220. Your only bet is
>to use a serial console.

Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Post by David B. Schmi » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You need the console to originally set up the system.  Plug it in for the
original install & it should reconize the graphics adapter & install the
correct files for it.

Have fun -- I just got finished...

says...

Quote:

>Hi,
>     I am trying to upgrade from AIX 42x to AIX 43x on a pizza box 220.  I am
>booting off the CD in maintenance mode.  The install reads my boot cd and
then
>I get C31 on the display.

[snip]

Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Post by David Robert » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

No, no... you should be aware, that 432 no longer supports the internal
graphics adapter that came with the 220, so you're going to have to use a
terminal to install.

Simon Vincent

>You need the console to originally set up the system.  Plug it in for the
>original install & it should reconize the graphics adapter & install the
>correct files for it.

>Have fun -- I just got finished...

Installing 43x onto IBM 7011 ( 220 ) model server

Post by David Robert » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

OR 4.3 at all rather!

>No, no... you should be aware, that 432 no longer supports the internal
>graphics adapter that came with the 220, so you're going to have to use a
>terminal to install.

>Simon Vincent

>>You need the console to originally set up the system.  Plug it in for the
>>original install & it should reconize the graphics adapter & install the
>>correct files for it.

>>Have fun -- I just got finished...

1. ibm 7011 model 220

good day
i likely owner very old hardware - 7011 220,
but i have no docs about hardware configuration.
at last, i receive 290 code - io scsi error - winth various scsi
controllers and can't install aix on it.
also i have video card for 7011 220 without cable to motherboard like
68-pin scsi connector...

for shot - i need docs about 7011 220 hardvare, on ibm i found only
fragmental replicas about 7011

thank you

2. Perms on DOS partitions (was: 3rd and 4th IDE drive with Linux)

3. AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

4. VFS semantics overview

5. Help: POWERserver 220 model 7011

6. Trouble upgrading to RH 6.1

7. RS/6000 Model 220 7011, Video and Manuals

8. 4mm DAT on Linux?

9. What is a Model 7011 PowerStation 220?

10. 7011-220 won't boot from 4.3.3 install CD

11. Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

12. Installing AIX 4.1.4 on 7011 220

13. B/FS: 7011-220 FS in Germany