AIX job prints - queue goes down,- I bring it up - same job prints again and queue goes down

AIX job prints - queue goes down,- I bring it up - same job prints again and queue goes down

Post by islandwo » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:23:14

Printers are set up as remote with local filtering.  They are both
Epson LQ870
Epson LQ870
Both are attached to a Troy ESI 2999

The job prints then queue goes down.  As soon as the job
being printed is over a certain size, the printer stops printing after
finishing the job and the queue goes down on AIX. Although the job had
finished it is not deleted out of the AIX queue and as soon as the
queue is enabled the same job starts printing from the beginning and
the entire
process repeats itself.

AIX job prints - queue goes down,- I bring it up - same job prints again and queue goes down

Post by Mark Taylo » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:13:25

have you cleaned down the queueing system and made sure there are no
spurious files* around ?

look at the clearing your queueing system doc here

https://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/aix.techTips?view=OS&cat=52-
&cat=51&cat=43&cat=42&cat=41&cat=01&cat=47&cat=38&cat=48&filter=clearin-
g+print&x=75&y=10

Rgds
Mark

Post by Dwivi » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:39:22

> Printers are set up as remote with local filtering.  [...]
> The job prints then queue goes down.  As soon as the job
> being printed is over a certain size, the printer stops printing after
> finishing the job and the queue goes down on AIX.

This reminds me of a problem with local printers using signal-based
flow control (instead of DC1/DC3).  Whenever they'd say "I've got
enough" the AIX queue would decide the device had failed.  I had to
configure the printer to play nice, and it worked fine after that.
This was in 1991, so it's been a while since I've dealt with this kind
of problem.

You might look at how your printer handles large files, and how it
tells the printing device to hold off for a bit.  That, or the remote
system may need similar configuration checking.  Is there enough space
on the remote side to handle the full job being sent, once the queue
is ready and local spooling can release it?

-dwiv (CATE/AIX)