Model 250 memory configurations

Post by Michael C. Greensp » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Could someone please explain the possible model 250 memory configurations?
I haven't yet shut down the machine and opened the box to look but some
glossy IBM sales literature claims that SIMMs must be installed in matched
sets of 4. Are there only 4 SIMM slots, or more? And is the sales info
correct or could SIMMs be of mixed capacity? Currrently the machine has
64MB, so I assume this would be 4 x 16MB. Is there any way to increase
capacity to 96 or 128 without discarding the existing memory?

Also exactly what kind of SIMMs are used in the 250? The literature claims
"ECC"  memory whatever that is. Are these just standard 36 bit PS/2 SIMMs?
If so is there any reason to pay IBM prices which seem to be about 8-10
times the going rate?

Finally is there a web resource for complete technical data sheets on
RS/6000 products?

Thanks,
--Michael

Model 250 memory configurations

Post by Jesper Skriv » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Could someone please explain the possible model 250 memory configurations?
>I haven't yet shut down the machine and opened the box to look but some
>glossy IBM sales literature claims that SIMMs must be installed in matched
>sets of 4. Are there only 4 SIMM slots, or more? And is the sales info
>correct or could SIMMs be of mixed capacity? Currrently the machine has
>64MB, so I assume this would be 4 x 16MB. Is there any way to increase
>capacity to 96 or 128 without discarding the existing memory?

It takes 8 SIMM's, and my experience is that it must be in pairs of 4.

Try "lscfg | grep mem" this lists the current memory configuration.

The current memory configuration determines if you can upgrade without
wasting some of the old SIMM's

Quote:>Also exactly what kind of SIMMs are used in the 250? The literature claims
>"ECC"  memory whatever that is. Are these just standard 36 bit PS/2 SIMMs?
>If so is there any reason to pay IBM prices which seem to be about 8-10
>times the going rate?

Try Kingston, they makes memory for the RS/6000 and it only costs a
fraction of IBM's list prices.

Quote:>Finally is there a web resource for complete technical data sheets on
>RS/6000 products?

regards
Jesper Skriver

1. memory upgrade of model 250?

Hello. I got several helpful answers to my question "RS/6000 250 what can it
do for me?". Big thanks to everyone that replied.

Since today, I know that my RS/6000 has 32 MB of memory and a 1 GB disk . I
have also opened the case and took a look inside. There are 4 memory banks
still empty. Can I stick any cheap SIMM in there? I think I can get a couple
of 16 MB sticks since nobody uses them anymore... Or do they have to be the
parity type?

As for harddisks. Someone suggested I should upgrade that too and of course
I would like too. And an external cdrom player, and a tape drive... why
not... But the same question applies: can I use any type of SCSI drive?

Tomorrow a friend with a cdrom player AND the cdroms will install AIX 4.3.3
for me. He will also teach me a few tricks, that I can use in my further
explorations... Will keep you posted.

Oh and Patrick, you told me to get a copy of CATIA. Funny you said so,
because this is exactly what the previous owner did with the thing. I'm more
interested in bitmap graphics though, so I would like a good "paint" program
on AIX.

Has anyone ever tried the GIMP on AIX before? Can somebody help me to get it
working?

Kind regards,

Olav.

2. 3com Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card ?

3. How to add 128MB memory to 250 (7011-250) workstation

4. popen() equivalent for POSIX?

5. RS/6000 Model 250 Manuals

6. glibc2 upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.0.94 [problems]

7. how do I force a Model 250 open?

8. RH6.2 with SB128 PCI

9. 4.3 on a Model 250

10. lost key to Model 250

11. Lost root password on model 250 3.2.5

12. Linux on IBM 7011 - Model 250

13. PPC 7011 Model 250 - any chances ?