Too many open files

Post by JRoo » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi to all,

in June 1998 Kevin Gee (a SAMBA Problem) wrote that he know a
"trick" to tune the parameter "files per process" under AIX
4.3.*. But he did not tell us how.
Is there somebody who knows the "trick"?

Thanks

Joerg Roof

Too many open files

Post by Bob Shai » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi to all,

> in June 1998 Kevin Gee (a SAMBA Problem) wrote that he know a
> "trick" to tune the parameter "files per process" under AIX
> 4.3.*. But he did not tell us how.
> Is there somebody who knows the "trick"?

You mean, something other than
volcano:(bshair)/u/bshair>
   chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=2001
sys0 changed
--
Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Too many open files

Post by John Jaszcza » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I was thinking the same thing, but isn't that what determines how many
user processes can run? I think he was referring to how many files one
process can open at a time. I also remember this discussion awhile back, but
as it didn't pertain to anything I have ever done, I purged it from memory.
(Hey, its crowded enough in there with all the
Zappa lyrics, passwords and directions on how to get home!)

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International

612-321-4139

>> Hi to all,

>> in June 1998 Kevin Gee (a SAMBA Problem) wrote that he know a
>> "trick" to tune the parameter "files per process" under AIX
>> 4.3.*. But he did not tell us how.
>> Is there somebody who knows the "trick"?

>You mean, something other than
>volcano:(bshair)/u/bshair>
>   chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=2001
>sys0 changed
>--
>Bob Shair
>Open Systems Consulting
>Champaign, Illinois

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Too many open files

Post by Kevin R. Ge » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Correct -- that chdev command given below will only change the maximum
number of processes a user can invoke.  At AIX 4.3.1 and above, you can
use the ulimit command to alter the maximum number of open file
descriptors per process (look in /etc/security/limits).

The man page for ulimit indicates that the -n flag is used to change
the "nofiles" parameter.

Kevin

--
Kevin R. Gee
MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Too many open files

Post by Bob Shai » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Correct -- that chdev command will only change the maximum
> number of processes a user can invoke.  At AIX 4.3.1 and above, you
> use the ulimit command to alter the maximum number of open file
> descriptors per process (look in /etc/security/limits).

> The man page for ulimit indicates that the -n flag is used to change
> the "nofiles" parameter.

Thanks, Kevin and John,

Sorry for the misinformation "Jroof":
Didn't read the question carefully enough,
and didn't know the answer to what you asked,
but now I do!
--
Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting
Champaign, Illinois

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Too many open files

Post by John Jaszcza » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I could just kick myself over this one. I just posted a note regarding the
"nofiles" flag in the /etc/security/limits file about a week ago. But did I
apply what I uncovered to this? No!
Thanks goes out to Kevin here, he is the one with his head screwed on.

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International
Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

612-321-4139

>> Correct -- that chdev command will only change the maximum
>> number of processes a user can invoke.  At AIX 4.3.1 and above, you
>> use the ulimit command to alter the maximum number of open file
>> descriptors per process (look in /etc/security/limits).

>> The man page for ulimit indicates that the -n flag is used to change
>> the "nofiles" parameter.

>Thanks, Kevin and John,

>Sorry for the misinformation "Jroof":
>Didn't read the question carefully enough,
>and didn't know the answer to what you asked,
>but now I do!
>--
>Bob Shair
>Open Systems Consulting
>Champaign, Illinois

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Too many open files

Post by Joerg Roo » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks to all!

But my Problem is not solved now.
The point is:
Our Batch System works with the mail box mechanism. And this uses shared

memory.
Sometimes it crashes whit: "internal error 24: Too many open files".  I
have learned now that this error message is generated by the subroutine
"shmat". By default on AIX  a process can attache 11 shm segments. Is
this reached you get this message. (See "man shmat"). You can solev this

Problem with the User Environment Variable "EXTSHM = ON". Then a process

has no limits on shared memory.
I think I have done all to tell all my forked batch processes to reed
this Variable. But in yesterday i got the same error again.
1. Not all forked processes run with the EXTSHM. Thats my problem and i
have to analyse this.
2. Wich "modules" generates "internal error 24: Too many open files"
(EMFILE) too? If i know this i can search for other problems in our
system.
Please can you help me

Joerg Roof

I hope you can understand my poor english, sorry.

> Hi to all,

> in June 1998 Kevin Gee (a SAMBA Problem) wrote that he know a
> "trick" to tune the parameter "files per process" under AIX
> 4.3.*. But he did not tell us how.
> Is there somebody who knows the "trick"?

> Thanks

> Joerg Roof

1. Open File Manager (open file backup) for Linux?

Is there a way to back up open files on a Linux machine?

I've been looking into setting up a file server using Linux using mars-nwe, to
service a couple DOS and NT clients.

If I use NT Server I can get a program called Open File Manager from St.
Bernard Software that does the trick.

Anyone know of such a program or feature under Linux??

2. 2.4.3 and aicxxxx

3. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

4. stty: : No such device or address

5. Help: What controls number of files a user can open (file open command)?

6. Help setting up PPP to ATT

7. map a process open file to a open socket ?

8. local env. in tcsh

9. Can't open a broadcast socket because there are too many open files?

10. cannot open /dev/mem: too many open files??

11. Open files vs. open inodes

12. Getting open file count of a file?

13. The GIMP error mesg (can't open file as "xwd" file)