How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

Post by Nick » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Please...
There is nothing about that in AIX Manuals.
How nice of them.
It's AIX 4.3.3.2
Thank you.
Nick

How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

Post by Ralph Corder » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

Check your environment (run `env') to see if there's a variable that
looks like it contains the timeout.  Then look through /etc/profile,
etc., to see where it is being set.

If you're not admin try something like `read f' when you want to leave
a shell logged in and idle for a while.  Just hit return when you want
to resume.

Ralph.

Post by Matthew Land » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

> Check your environment (run `env') to see if there's a variable that
> looks like it contains the timeout.  Then look through /etc/profile,
> etc., to see where it is being set.

> If you're not admin try something like `read f' when you want to leave
> a shell logged in and idle for a while.  Just hit return when you want
> to resume.

> Ralph.

for ksh variable is TMOUT.  If the admin was smart it is read only,
so changing the value won't help.  However, unset TMOUT should work
to remove it.

There might also be 3rd party software that is doing the logout.
If that is the case, talk to the admin.  The timeout is there for
a reason.  If you're account is special and needs more time, they
might be able to tune it for your ID.

 - Matt

Post by Nick » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > > How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

> > Check your environment (run `env') to see if there's a variable that
> > looks like it contains the timeout.  Then look through /etc/profile,
> > etc., to see where it is being set.

> > If you're not admin try something like `read f' when you want to leave
> > a shell logged in and idle for a while.  Just hit return when you want
> > to resume.

> > Ralph.

> for ksh variable is TMOUT.  If the admin was smart it is read only,
> so changing the value won't help.  However, unset TMOUT should work
> to remove it.

> There might also be 3rd party software that is doing the logout.
> If that is the case, talk to the admin.  The timeout is there for
> a reason.  If you're account is special and needs more time, they
> might be able to tune it for your ID.

>  - Matt

Thank you Ralf and Matt.
So- it is 'tcsh' and 'autologout' variable.
Sorry for blaming IBM, then.
Nick.

How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

Post by Nick » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > > How to stop 'auto-logout' feature???

> > Check your environment (run `env') to see if there's a variable that
> > looks like it contains the timeout.  Then look through /etc/profile,
> > etc., to see where it is being set.

> > If you're not admin try something like `read f' when you want to leave
> > a shell logged in and idle for a while.  Just hit return when you want
> > to resume.

> > Ralph.

> for ksh variable is TMOUT.  If the admin was smart it is read only,
> so changing the value won't help.  However, unset TMOUT should work
> to remove it.

> There might also be 3rd party software that is doing the logout.
> If that is the case, talk to the admin.  The timeout is there for
> a reason.  If you're account is special and needs more time, they
> might be able to tune it for your ID.

>  - Matt

Thank you Ralf and Matt.
So- it is 'tcsh' and 'autologout' variable.
Sorry for blaming IBM, then.
Nick.

1. How to disable 'auto-logout' ?

Hi,

I'd like to know how to disable the 'auto-logout' feature. I've looked
around a bit, but haven't been able to figure out where exactly this is
initialized. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks,

Omar
--

                   http://www.csug.rochester.edu/u/qureshi

2. Help!! (I did read the FAQ's, so please read)

3. Auto-Logout Feature - where is it?

4. Netscape/Linux/Slackware Problem

5. how to disable the rlogin auto-logout feature?

6. hme0 and hme2, but no hme1 ????

7. Slirp Auto-Logout Feature

8. .htaccess

9. "You've been idle" auto logout ??

10. An extensive comparison of 'sh' and 'csh' language features

11. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''

12. The 'last' command doesn't record users logout

13. Konqueror's irritating preview 'feature'