CAP on AIX 4.3.2

Post by Wesley Mos » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone been successful in patching and compiling the Columbia
Appletalk Package on AIX 4.3.2? Also, if anyone knows of a better free
solution for providing Appletalk connectivity to an AIX system, please
let me know.

Wesley Most
SP Administrator
University of Connecticut

1. How do I set up lwsrv (CAP 6.0) to work for AIX 3.1.x?

We are running CAP 6.0 pl100 to communicate with devices on our
LocalTalk networks.  All other aspects of the software seem to
be fine.

But we have a QMS ColorScript-100 attached to /dev/lp0 and the
corresponding queue.  We want this printer to appear to MacIntoshes
on the network using the CAP lwsrv utility.

I am starting it like this:

        lwsrv -n color4 -p color4 -a /usr/local/cap -f/usr/local/cap/LWFonts \
        -l /usr/adm/color4.log -r

but when I print from a Mac I get a failure with the message:

        wait: No child processes

The next time I try to run lwsrv (after killing it), I get this:

        lwsrv: Spooler starting for color4.LaserWriter.*
        lwsrv: simple: Font list from file /usr/local/cap/LWFonts
        lwsrv: (re)Scanning for Procsets
        lwsrv: SLInit failed: -1027

I never get anything even attempted to be spooled to the queue "color4".

Has anyone ever set this up for AIX 3.1.x before?  What were the steps
you had to follow?  Is CAP expecting "lpq" or other information to be
"bsd-like" and is therefore confused by AIX's strange queueing procedure?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--Tim Fredrick, Ntl Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO 80307-3000

.

2. Compiling with gcc & include files

3. help with CAP/papif and IBM AIX 3.2

4. what unix do on software copy protection

5. CAP & UAR on AIX 4 with bos.compat.lan

6. Automating unix commands in a session

7. Kernel appletalk on AIX (for CAP) How?

8. Wanted: good example code for forms package in Solaris?

9. CAP or UAB EtherTalk code for AIX or NeXT (in particular)

10. CAP on AIX 4.1.5

11. Has anyone gotten CAP 6.0 to work (AIX 3.1.5)?

12. CAP 6.0 under AIX

13. Worries: Installing CAP on AIX?