AIXL 5.1 out in the real world yet?

Post by charle » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:04:04

IBM by phone wants $375 = (325 for license + 50 for media) for it.
How many have already tried it?
Is/was it worth it?
What is your experience with it, good or bad?

thanks,
charles......

AIXL 5.1 out in the real world yet?

Post by Patrick Bab » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:42:21

I've heard quite a bit praising 5.1, but I left supportline shortly before
it was released. Just like any other OS, it's got its share of bugs, but
they're slowly wheedling those out. I know that it will also run on an
Itanium-based system, which will allow for more flexibility in the area of
site setup. Anyway, I would wait until they go up a few maintenance levels,
and then look at it.

Patrick

--
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggy,' until you can find a rock."
--

Quote:> IBM by phone wants $375 = (325 for license + 50 for media) for it.
> How many have already tried it?
> Is/was it worth it?
> What is your experience with it, good or bad?

> thanks,
> charles......

AIXL 5.1 out in the real world yet?

Post by charle » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:13:14

Quote:> I would wait until they go up a few maintenance levels, and then look at

it.

OK.

charles......

1. More page outs than page ins?

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me why systems usually have
more page-outs than page-ins? It has got me stumped for quite some
time. I would think that if 100mb is paged out from memory to disk,
then similarly 100mb should be paged-in back from disk to physical
memory?

Or is my understand of paging-in and paging-out wrong? i.e Page-outs
occur when a page is pushed from main memory to the paging space due
to a variety of reasons (lack of physical memory being one of them)
while page-ins' occur when there is free physical memory and these
pages are pushed back from disk back to the physical memory.

TIA!

2. Mt Xinu UNIX BSD 4.3 panic messasge

3. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

4. How can I mount IDE ZIP drive ?

5. Yet another Kernel configuration question re: Redhat 5.1 . . .

6. Missing Files for SunOs 4.1.1

7. make world 5.0-r to 5.1-r?

8. Non printing ascii characters

9. Anyone Started Using Red Hat 5.1 yet

10. Anybody playing with Staroffice 5.1 yet?

11. Real Encoder 5.1 for Linux.... WHERE?

12. AIX 5.1.B and 5.1.C and AIX 5.1.D

13. Real Player on Redhat 5.1