HACMP and TSM backups

Post by Andy Har » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:06:27

I have an HACMP cluster consisting of two nodes. Both have a rootvg,
plus a VG of stuff specific to itself, and also a sharded VG that is
under the control of HACMP as a resource. Backups of the rootvgs is
taken care of on each node by separate mksysbs, so no problem there.
What I think I would like to do is install a TSM Backup/Archive client
on each node, ie client names "Node_A" and "Node_B", which will ensure
that the specific stuff is backed up to the TSM server against the node
it came from. Then for the information in the sharedVG, I would like to
install a second TSM backup/archive client, ie client name of
"cluster_App", which could be defined to HACMP as an application
resource group, so which ever node it resides on (following the
shardedVG during failover), the TSM server will always be able to backup
the sharedvg data by referring  to the single TSM node name. However I'm
unable to tell if I can set up the TSM clients this way.

Does anyone know if this is possible or can offer an alternative
suggestion ?

Regards,
Andy

HACMP and TSM backups

Post by Clive Sparke » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:47:59

> I have an HACMP cluster consisting of two nodes. Both have a rootvg,
> plus a VG of stuff specific to itself, and also a sharded VG that is
> under the control of HACMP as a resource. Backups of the rootvgs is
> taken care of on each node by separate mksysbs, so no problem there.
> What I think I would like to do is install a TSM Backup/Archive client
> on each node, ie client names "Node_A" and "Node_B", which will ensure
> that the specific stuff is backed up to the TSM server against the node
> it came from. Then for the information in the sharedVG, I would like to
> install a second TSM backup/archive client, ie client name of
> "cluster_App", which could be defined to HACMP as an application
> resource group, so which ever node it resides on (following the
> shardedVG during failover), the TSM server will always be able to backup
> the sharedvg data by referring  to the single TSM node name. However I'm
> unable to tell if I can set up the TSM clients this way.

> Does anyone know if this is possible or can offer an alternative
> suggestion ?

> Regards,
> Andy

No problem, run a TSM client on each box referring to the hostname and
run a second client that goes with the resource group using the
virtualnodename argument on dsmc sched to refer to "cluster_App".

--
Regards,
Clive

1. HACMP/TSM - 2 TSM clients but different inclexcl files

I originally posted this question:......

[...]

Since then.......

Following a reply, I have been able to achieve the backups required by
defining a new TSM client called "cluster_app" to the TSM server, and then
running a client scheduler specifying this client using the
"virtualnodename". Similarly I can successfully perform backups from the
command line interface. However, as I already have a client defined locally,
ie "Node_A" with a dsm.sys file, including a reference to the
include/exclude file for it, it appears that even when using the
virtualnodename to backup against the cluster_app client, it insists on
using the "Node_A" include/exclude file. This I don't want as I must have
completely separate filesystems being backed up by the two clients running
on the node, ie when HACMP starts the application

Does anyone know how I can specify or pick up an alternate include/exclude
file only when I connect using the vitualnodename, ie the cluster_app TSM
client?, ignoring any that may already be defined in the dsm.sys, or ideas
on any alternate way

Regards
Andy

2. Troubles with snapscan USB scanner

3. TSM backup pool space allocation for DB2 incremental backups

4. How can someone still finger to my Linux system ?

5. HACMP, Filenet and TSM.

6. Samba and w2k-Clients

7. tsm: 3004-035 TSM: write to /dev/xxx failed.

8. Athlon ASUS K7M and Linux (RedHat)

9. error:tsm: TSM was unable to open port "/dev/tty2"

10. Tivoli / TSM web backup client on AIX 4.3

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Does hacmp synchronisations need hacmp started ?

13. Difference between HACMP and HACMP/ES