AIX 4.1.3.0 not showing all group membership with NIS

AIX 4.1.3.0 not showing all group membership with NIS

Post by Eric M. Boe » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have and AIX 4.1.3.0 box that is a NIS client with a Solaris 2.5.1 NIS+
server. I can see all the groups I belong to under Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX and
Irix but I don't see any group but the primary group under AIX.

lsgroup -c ALL shows all the groups in /etc/group as well as NIS
groups. /etc/group does contain the line "+:".

What is even stranger is that some users show *some* but not all of the groups
that they belong to.

How do I get AIX to set my group membership to all the groups I belong to when
I log in?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
--

Engineous Software Inc (formerly Optimum Technologies Inc.)
Suite 275, 1800 Perimeter Park Drive, Morrisville, NC 27560

1. RedHat 5.0, NIS and multiple group memberships

Hi all,

I have problems with multiple group memberships if those memberships are
read from NIS. NIS is up and working ("ypcat group" displays the correct
output), and I can change the group using "newgrp" to each of the groups
I am a member of. However, after login I am always just in one group,
as "groups" shows, and this is the default group as in the NIS passwd
map. With "newgrp" I can add exactly one additional group.

When there are multiple group memberships in the file /etc/groups,
they all appear for "groups". This is what I'd expect as well if group
memberships are read from NIS (that's how it works on other platforms
(e.g., DEC OSF4.1) or even for older versions of Linux (e.g., Redhat
4.2)).

I am not sure if this is a bug or if it is a new feature and I have to
configure something to allow multiple groups from NIS.

My nsswitch.conf contains "files nis" for both passwd and group:

passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis

My configuration:

RedHat 5.0 with all updates for Errata
yp-tools-1.2-3
ypbind-3.3-2
glibc-2.0.7-6
util-linux-2.7-15.i386.rpm (/bin/login)

My /etc/passwd and /etc/group do NOT contain a "+" or anything like this
in the last line.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
                                        --- Henrik
--
Dr. Henrik Seidel, http://www.mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de/~seidel/
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics

2. Mapping drives with file as input

3. NIS limiting no. of group memberships

4. Info on Inquiry and Mode Sense commands

5. NIS group membership isn't taken into account

6. I Am Very Sorry!!!

7. AIX group membership limit

8. NT / Linux Large Scale Integration

9. The "groups" command does not show all groups

10. Group membership for a group

11. Groups gone on NIS+, not on NIS

12. ipflog not showing groups?

13. Group membership problem