AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

Post by T Doyl » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Any help on this appreciated:

I have to do a report on setting up a network for a one-site business ( say
30 employees max ).
They have an RS6000 running AIX for some databases, job/stock and costing
control applications, and want a PIII Server for new software ( such as
point of sale, office applications ). The RS6000 replaces an older UNIX
machine ( a DEC ? ). New clients will likely be NT workstations and
electronic point of sale ( these would I think be running of the apps on the
RS6000 ).

If the PIII has Windows NT 4, will the AIX apps work over the NT Network ?
If so, is it via something like X-Windows...er, or something along those
lines ? I can find references to Samba too but am not sure if this is what
is needed.

Is AIX a network operating system in the same way as Netware or NT ?

Sheesh ! As you can see, I am stumbling in the dark here ! :)
Many thanks to any kind souls in advance.

AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

Post by Honda » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Yes, it is possible. I wouldn't want to put pos on NT though. NT is not very
reliable. Novell possibly or Linux or on another brand of Unix would be better
suited for this, I think. However, the windowsNT clients can use any protocol
that is loaded and used on AIX to communicate, like TCP/IP. Both server and
client must talk the same protocol. The application on the client end will
either be a textual based or visual basic like program, and there are others
that can be used in the NT environment to talk to Unix as well. From what I
have heard (we have a RS/6000) and from past experience, visual basic seems too
slow. Xwindows could work, as it can run on the NT client, and presents a
graphical program to the user from the RS/6000. However, the program itself
must reside on the RS/6000 to run in Xwindows. Xwindows, in my opinion is a
little difficult to setup, and can run slow as well. I don't know much about
Samba so I can't help you there. I prefer the old fashioned TCP/IP application
that runs on my windows98 machine and is text-based only, as it is fast and
bug-free, compared to the gui that others use that runs quite a bit slower for
some things, to connect to our RS. Unfortunately, users prefer a nice looking
windows-type program that runs slower, to a text-based program that runs faster
and helps them get their work done sooner. I have been doing AIX administration
for about 1 year and Informix database administration for about 2 months.

Cathy Geier
Aix/web/db administrator
Northwestern College

Post by Bernard Chandle » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

> Any help on this appreciated:

> I have to do a report on setting up a network for a one-site business ( say
> 30 employees max ).
> They have an RS6000 running AIX for some databases, job/stock and costing
> control applications, and want a PIII Server for new software ( such as
> point of sale, office applications ). The RS6000 replaces an older UNIX
> machine ( a DEC ? ). New clients will likely be NT workstations and
> electronic point of sale ( these would I think be running of the apps on the
> RS6000 ).

> If the PIII has Windows NT 4, will the AIX apps work over the NT Network ?
> If so, is it via something like X-Windows...er, or something along those
> lines ? I can find references to Samba too but am not sure if this is what
> is needed.

> Is AIX a network operating system in the same way as Netware or NT ?

> Sheesh ! As you can see, I am stumbling in the dark here ! :)
> Many thanks to any kind souls in advance.

to use the NT's as terminals of the AIX,
you might want to look at ViewNow x from
http://www.net.manage.com
or
Exceed English 6.2.0
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002S6X7/webviator/002-74917...

by the way the network is tcp/ip not NT so you can easily say that the NT's are
on the AIX network.

to make the AIX look like a big NT
http://www.facetcorp.com

--
Bernie Chandler
http://www.nationwide.net/~bernie

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Star Office 3.1-setup script failed

3. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

4. Solaris 10 - Zones & Self Healing.

5. Network connection from AIX box to Windows NT workstation.

6. Crappy RAID10 performance with Red Hat.

7. AIX networking Netscape into Wingate proxy on a Windows NT platform.....

8. HELP: NCR810 without SDMS-BIOS

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Problems printing on an Windows NT server from AIX 3.2.5

11. Can I network a Linux Box into a NT Network as a database server

12. PPP dialin problem from NT 4 wkstn to Rs6000 AIX 4.3

13. database libraries to connect to NT SQL from AIX