X11R4 twm

Post by Bill Jon » Sat, 07 Sep 1991 10:14:13

Does anybody run the X11R4 twm with the X11R3 server.

When I try it, the twm  menus don't seem to have any text and are all one
solid color.

Bill Jones

X11R4 twm

Post by Ronald S. Wo » Sat, 07 Sep 1991 14:46:32

>Does anybody run the X11R4 twm with the X11R3 server.

Yes...

Quote:>When I try it, the twm  menus don't seem to have any text and are all one
>solid color.

Almost certainly a backing store problem which seemed to be present in the
3003 release, and has since been fixed by 3005 (3.1.5) update... A temporary
fix might be to set the "nobackingstore" (I forget the name of the variable)
in your .twmrc file.

+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

1. X11R4 twm menu color problem and a few others on RS6000.

Hello,

I applied Dan Greening's R4 client/lib patches to our src tree and successfully
built/install all of them.  Testing so far indicates no major problems except
the following few:

(1) is it true that IBM's R3 server can not use rgb.txt from R4?

    for instance, BlanchedAlmond is not understood by IBM X server.

(2) when you run twm, how can you make menu entries show up right after the
    menu pop up?  I have to drag the ptr down to make them visible.  Besides,
    If I pop up a submenu, once it's gone, the parent menu is botched. ie,
    there is a block of plain color, unless I drag the ptr over that area
    again.

    This becomes particularly annoying if I use InterpolateMenuColor.

(3) how about fonts?  Does the R3 server understand all Standard R4 fonts?
    I haven't covert them yet.  Before I do, I like to hear others' experience

    I do know that even people at Saber Software complain about some font
    related problems at their site.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone who has done this before could
share some of your experience.  A summary is promised if there is enough
interest.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University

2. CNEWS and NNTP

3. TWM: How Do I get X to use Gnome instead of TWM

4. Do I need a server?

5. building X11R4 libraries on RS/6000

6. Help! Display :0 not found when I run GREAT!

7. compiling emacs18.59 with gcc-2.3.3 on X11R5 (not X11R4)

8. Installing Linux on Jaz drive

9. Has anybody ported X11R4 server on RISC/6000?

10. What is the status of X11R4 for AIX 1.2?

11. Q: How to increase line length XMAN uses on x11r4 system

12. mit/config/* file for X11R4 under SunOS 5.1/Solaris 2.1 ???

13. AIC, X11R4, and MOTIF