Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:58:27



Hi All,
I am tring to define the 7332-220 4mm autoloader as a automated library in TSM.
Can anyone give me some instruction? The ENV is AIX5.2,   TSM 5.1
The devices is available in AIX system.
   #lsdev -Cc tape
   rmt0 Available 10-80-00-6,0 7332 4mm Auto Loader SCSI Tape Device

There is no smc0 device.

Thanks a lot.

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Alexandre Tchikal » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 06:26:47



> Hi All,
> I am tring to define the 7332-220 4mm autoloader as a automated library in TSM.
> Can anyone give me some instruction? The ENV is AIX5.2,   TSM 5.1
> The devices is available in AIX system.
>    #lsdev -Cc tape
>    rmt0 Available 10-80-00-6,0 7332 4mm Auto Loader SCSI Tape Device

> There is no smc0 device.

> Thanks a lot.

if you want to use smc device driver you need to install it first
smc is atape device drive available on ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/
instructions are there as well.
alex

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Alexandre Tchikal » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 07:30:46



> Hi All,
> I am tring to define the 7332-220 4mm autoloader as a automated library in TSM.
> Can anyone give me some instruction? The ENV is AIX5.2,   TSM 5.1
> The devices is available in AIX system.
>    #lsdev -Cc tape
>    rmt0 Available 10-80-00-6,0 7332 4mm Auto Loader SCSI Tape Device

> There is no smc0 device.

> Thanks a lot.

in addition to my previous posting:
I think you do not need to use smc device, as far as I remember 7332
4mm autoloader support included in tsm base device module so you need
to use /dev/lbX for the library and /dev/rmtX for tape drives (add
them using smit) see
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/IBMStorageManagerforAIX5.1.html

alex

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:52:41



> in addition to my previous posting:
> I think you do not need to use smc device, as far as I remember 7332
> 4mm autoloader support included in tsm base device module so you need
> to use /dev/lbX for the library and /dev/rmtX for tape drives (add
> them using smit) see
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/IBMStorageManagerforAIX5.1.html

> alex

I have tried to add the library using
             smit->devices
                 ->Tivoli Storage Manager Devices
                  ->SCSI Attached Devices
                   ->Library/MediumChanger
                    ->Add a Library/MediumChanger
  Library/MediumChanger Type                          ADSM-SCSI-LB
  Library/MediumChanger interface                     scsi
  Description                                         Tivoli Storage Manage>
  Parent adapter                                      scsi0
* CONNECTION address                                 [6,0]    

But I got the following error:
               Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.  

There is no /dev/lbx device. Any advice?

Thanks.

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Alexandre Tchikal » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:41:14




> > in addition to my previous posting:
> > I think you do not need to use smc device, as far as I remember 7332
> > 4mm autoloader support included in tsm base device module so you need
> > to use /dev/lbX for the library and /dev/rmtX for tape drives (add
> > them using smit) see
> > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/IBMStorageManagerforAIX5.1.html

> > alex

> I have tried to add the library using
>              smit->devices
>                  ->Tivoli Storage Manager Devices
>                   ->SCSI Attached Devices
>                    ->Library/MediumChanger
>                     ->Add a Library/MediumChanger
>   Library/MediumChanger Type                          ADSM-SCSI-LB
>   Library/MediumChanger interface                     scsi
>   Description                                         Tivoli Storage Manage>
>   Parent adapter                                      scsi0
> * CONNECTION address                                 [6,0]    

> But I got the following error:
>                Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
>         0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
>                  device at the specified connection location.  

> There is no /dev/lbx device. Any advice?

> Thanks.

It looks like AIX device but not TSM, remove it first using rmdev -d
then try again. Check if there are some other scsi devices having the
same scsi id on the scsi bus, if so change scsi id on the back panel
of tape autoloader. In some cases scsi id of autoloader (robot) and
tape drive may differ from each other (I'm sure it's true for 3995
optic or 3570 tape libs) or share the same id; if so LUN will be
different. Check 7332 setup guide.

alex

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 02:32:20


Quote:

> It looks like AIX device but not TSM, remove it first using rmdev -d
> then try again. Check if there are some other scsi devices having the
> same scsi id on the scsi bus, if so change scsi id on the back panel
> of tape autoloader. In some cases scsi id of autoloader (robot) and
> tape drive may differ from each other (I'm sure it's true for 3995
> optic or 3570 tape libs) or share the same id; if so LUN will be
> different. Check 7332 setup guide.

> alex

Yes you are right I changed the LUN to 1 then the /dev/lb0 is
available.
When I run the list command, the lb0 is show up
#lsdev -Cc library -H
name status    location     description
lb0  Available 10-80-00-6,1 Tivoli Storage Manager Library

Now I am creating the automated library, it show some error
TSM:TSM>
define library auto4mmlib libtype=scsi device=/dev/lb0
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: DEFINE LIBRARY
auto4mmlib libtype=scsi device=/dev/lb0
ANR2020E DEFINE LIBRARY: Invalid parameter - DEVICE.

Any hint?

Thanks a lot.

Jack

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by d » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 06:01:35


You guys may want to check out the Tivoli Forums on the Tivoli
Developer Domains.  They are new, but they may be helpful.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/tivoli_forums.jsp

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:01:27


Quote:

> Yes you are right I changed the LUN to 1 then the /dev/lb0 is
> available.
> When I run the list command, the lb0 is show up
> #lsdev -Cc library -H
> name status    location     description
> lb0  Available 10-80-00-6,1 Tivoli Storage Manager Library

> Now I am creating the automated library, it show some error
> TSM:TSM>
> define library auto4mmlib libtype=scsi device=/dev/lb0
> ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: DEFINE LIBRARY
> auto4mmlib libtype=scsi device=/dev/lb0
> ANR2020E DEFINE LIBRARY: Invalid parameter - DEVICE.

> Any hint?

> Thanks a lot.

> Jack

That is old version syntax. I found the the device define command on
TSM5.1
I have tried both automated and manully library define. But both has
the error " No drives are currently available in library " when check
in the volume.
The manually library step listed:
tsm>define library m4mm libtype=manual
tsm>define drive m4mm drive01
tsm>define path discovery drive01 srctype=server desttype=drive
library=m4mm device=/dev/mt0
  ANR1720I A path from DISCOVERY to M4MM DRIVE01 has been defined.
  ANR1434W No files have been identified for automatically storing
deviceconfiguration information.

tsm>DEFINE DEVCLASS tape4mm_class library=m4mm devtype=4mm
format=drive
tsm>define stgpool tape4mm_pool tape4mm_class maxscratch=20

When I try label the volume:
tsm>label libvolume m4mm vol001
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: LABEL libvolume
m4mm vol001
ANR0984I Process 3 for LABEL LIBVOLUME started in the BACKGROUND at
17:46:40.
ANR8799I LABEL LIBVOLUME: Operation for library M4MM started as
process 3.
ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library M4MM.
ANR1434W No files have been identified for automatically storing
device configuration information.
ANR8802E LABEL LIBVOLUME process 3 for library M4MM failed.
ANR0985I Process 3 for LABEL LIBVOLUME running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state
FAILURE at 17:46:40.

I think the tape drive configuration is not correct. I have test the
/dev/mt0, it can rewind and tar file to the tape.
Any advise?

Thanks.

Jack

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Alexandre Tchikal » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:31:08



> tsm>define path discovery drive01 srctype=server desttype=drive
> library=m4mm device=/dev/mt0
...
> ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library M4MM.

Looks good. check if drive status is online. (def path ... online=yes)

TO dW: thanks for tivoli link.

Alex

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:25:47




> > tsm>define path discovery drive01 srctype=server desttype=drive
> > library=m4mm device=/dev/mt0
>  ...
> > ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library M4MM.

> Looks good. check if drive status is online. (def path ... online=yes)

> TO dW: thanks for tivoli link.

> Alex

I have checked the status. It is on line.
tsm>query path
Source Name     Source Type     Destination     Destination    
On-Line
                                Name            Type
-----------     -----------     -----------     -----------    
-------
DISCOVERY       SERVER          DRIVE01         DRIVE           Yes

tsm>query drive m4mm drive01
Library Name     Drive Name       Device Type     On-Line
------------     ------------     -----------     -------------------
M4MM             DRIVE01          UNKNOWN         Yes

tsm>query devclass
Device        Device         Storage     Device        Format    
Est/Max      Mount
Class         Access            Pool     Type                    
Capacity      Limit
Name          Strategy         Count                                
(MB)
---------     ----------     -------     ---------     ------    
--------     ------
DISK          Random               4
TAPE4MM_-     Sequential           1     4MM           DRIVE          
        DRIVES
 CLASS

tsm>query library m4mm
Library Name Library    ACS Private  Scratch  External       Shared
LanFree ObeyMountRetention
             Type       Id  Category Category Manager
------------ ---------- --- -------- -------- -------------- ------
------- ------------------
M4MM         MANUAL                                          No

You may notice the query drive "device type" is unknow. I am new in
Tivoli and not sure where is the problem. Any other command to test
the drive to make sure it is working?

Thanks.

Jack

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Alexandre Tchikal » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:34:54





> > > tsm>define path discovery drive01 srctype=server desttype=drive
> > > library=m4mm device=/dev/mt0
>  ...
> > > ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library M4MM.

> > Looks good. check if drive status is online. (def path ... online=yes)

> > TO dW: thanks for tivoli link.

> > Alex

> I have checked the status. It is on line.
> tsm>query path
> Source Name     Source Type     Destination     Destination    
> On-Line
>                                 Name            Type
> -----------     -----------     -----------     -----------    
> -------
> DISCOVERY       SERVER          DRIVE01         DRIVE           Yes

> tsm>query drive m4mm drive01
> Library Name     Drive Name       Device Type     On-Line
> ------------     ------------     -----------     -------------------
> M4MM             DRIVE01          UNKNOWN         Yes

> tsm>query devclass
> Device        Device         Storage     Device        Format    
> Est/Max      Mount
> Class         Access            Pool     Type                    
> Capacity      Limit
> Name          Strategy         Count                                
> (MB)
> ---------     ----------     -------     ---------     ------    
> --------     ------
> DISK          Random               4
> TAPE4MM_-     Sequential           1     4MM           DRIVE          
>         DRIVES
>  CLASS

> tsm>query library m4mm
> Library Name Library    ACS Private  Scratch  External       Shared
> LanFree ObeyMountRetention
>              Type       Id  Category Category Manager
> ------------ ---------- --- -------- -------- -------------- ------
> ------- ------------------
> M4MM         MANUAL                                          No

> You may notice the query drive "device type" is unknow. I am new in
> Tivoli and not sure where is the problem. Any other command to test
> the drive to make sure it is working?

> Thanks.

> Jack

puzzling... i'm thinking of 3 possible reasons:
1 see user action on 8447 error (messages guide, not too much
infomation actually: q mount, q drive, dismount...)
2 commands sequence:
 tsm 5.1 doc says:
 - def drive ref. says: since tsm 5.1 use def path instead of def
drive
 - quick start says: right sequence - def lib, def path, def drive
(your sequence is different)
 - def path ref says: drive must be defined before def path
 - my defconfig (real from tsm 5.1) includes: def lib..., def
devclass..., def drive...

what a mess... adsm (tsm3.7) doc was MUCH MUCH better! try the last
one...

3 6,0 scsi id for lib and 6,1 for drive (not sure, I don't remember
how I did configure this box ~3 years ago...no differences from some
other scsi libs, just smit and adsm device, i think you did it right
on aix level)

alex

 
 
 

Define 7332-220 4mm autoloader tape drive in TSM

Post by Jack » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:12:53


Quote:

> puzzling... i'm thinking of 3 possible reasons:
> 1 see user action on 8447 error (messages guide, not too much
> infomation actually: q mount, q drive, dismount...)
> 2 commands sequence:
>  tsm 5.1 doc says:
>  - def drive ref. says: since tsm 5.1 use def path instead of def
> drive
>  - quick start says: right sequence - def lib, def path, def drive
> (your sequence is different)
>  - def path ref says: drive must be defined before def path
>  - my defconfig (real from tsm 5.1) includes: def lib..., def
> devclass..., def drive...

> what a mess... adsm (tsm3.7) doc was MUCH MUCH better! try the last
> one...

> 3 6,0 scsi id for lib and 6,1 for drive (not sure, I don't remember
> how I did configure this box ~3 years ago...no differences from some
> other scsi libs, just smit and adsm device, i think you did it right
> on aix level)

> alex

Hi Alex,

Finally, I get solve this problem by use TSM web admin console. The
web graphic config interface is much easier by command line. The
sequence that you mentioned is right for automated library, but for
the manually lib is differet.
The 6,1 is for the lib and 6,0 for the dirve, elemnet=1.

I think I gave the wrong server name when define path which may cause
the drive cannot be connected. Now every thing is fine.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Jack