Remote printing problem

Post by Terry Jone » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

  I have a remote printer set up on a box running 3.1.5 (you can stop
laughing now) every time I do a lpstat from a remote system I get the
following message:
       lp0: your host does not have line printer access.

I know under 4.2.1 you run chque -q to see what host name the output is
going to.  Is there a similar function for 3.1.5?

Any guidance is appreciated.
--
Terry A. Jones
Sr. Technical Analyst

Remote printing problem

Post by Austin Gresha » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

What about adding the remote host's name to the /etc/hosts.lpd file on the
print server?

I don't do a whole lot with print queues anymore, I just remember this being
the source of a few of my problems in the past.

-Austin

>   I have a remote printer set up on a box running 3.1.5 (you can stop
> laughing now) every time I do a lpstat from a remote system I get the
> following message:
>        lp0: your host does not have line printer access.

> I know under 4.2.1 you run chque -q to see what host name the output is
> going to.  Is there a similar function for 3.1.5?

> Any guidance is appreciated.
> --
> Terry A. Jones
> Sr. Technical Analyst
> Lenscrafters I.T.

Remote printing problem

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Add the client's hostname to the server's /etc/hosts.lpd file.  Be sure
that if the client has multiple network interfaces, you put in the hostname
for the interface from which the client connections are coming.

Best regards,
Paul

>   I have a remote printer set up on a box running 3.1.5 (you can stop
> laughing now) every time I do a lpstat from a remote system I get the
> following message:
>        lp0: your host does not have line printer access.

> I know under 4.2.1 you run chque -q to see what host name the output is
> going to.  Is there a similar function for 3.1.5?

> Any guidance is appreciated.
> --
> Terry A. Jones
> Sr. Technical Analyst
> Lenscrafters I.T.

1. Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

I have successfully configured local printing and am now trying to do the
same for remote printing, i.e. from my Linux box to a remote printer
attached to a Sun workstation, but am experiencing problems.

My local printcap entry for the remote printer looks like this:
(with slight modification, i.e. the foo.bar is actually
something else)

   # HP Laserjet 5mp (remote printer):
   LaserJet5mp|hp|HP Laserjet 5mp: \
        :lp=: \
        :rm=foo.bar.umac.mo: \
        :rp=LaserJet5mp: \
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp: \
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp/errs: \
        :mx#0: \
        :sh:

Before printing something, I check the printer status (lpc status
LaserJet5mp), which is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           no entries
           no daemon present

Then I start a print job, like this:

   lpr -PLaserJet5mp foobar.txt

Next the printer status is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           1 entry in spool area
           waiting for foo.bar.umac.mo to come up

However, the machine is already up and the printer is ready. Furthermore,
I have a login account on the remote machine and since my local machine's
name is in the remote .rhosts file, I can rsh commands on the remote
machine (I don't know whether this is relevant for remote printing,
though).

Printing on the remote machine is already enabled in the /etc/lp/Systems
file.

What's wrong? Any help appreciated.

Robert.

Robert P. Biuk-Aghai, University of Macau, Faculty of Science and Technology

                 http://www.sftw.umac.mo/~fstrpba/RPBA.html
                  hyperg://hyperg.sftw.umac.mo/robert_col

     The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice ...
                                                 - Baha'u'llah (1817-92)

2. What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

3. remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

4. Apache-served files come up as HTML source

5. Remote Printing Problems

6. How to use PPP to dail to ISP?

7. Remote Printing Problem

8. Running foldingathome